Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anecdotes about the Pioneers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

waross

Electrical
Jan 7, 2006
CA
From time to time I run across delightful anecdotes about the early pioneers.
Does anyone else share this interest and have any anecdotes to share.
Example.
Steinmetz. When Steinmetz emigrated from Europe he was stopped at immigration and was about to be turned back. A friend of his who had invited hom to America was there to meet him and got involved.
"Why are you sending him back?"
He's a mathematician. America has all the mathematicians we need."
"Didn't he tell you that he's also an electrician?"
"Why didn't he say so. We need electricians."
Steinmetz went to work for his friends engineering firm.
Up until then the design and manufacture of large electric motors was a hit and miss affair. Sme motors worked and if a design worked well it was put into production. However a working design could not nescessarily be scalled up. Many attempts overheated for an unknown reason.
Stienmetz presented a theoretical paper to an engineering confrence. He had been exploring hysteresis. He explaind hysteresis and presented calculations and mathematical models. I understand that there was a rush to obtain copies of his paper by design engineers who realized that he had just presented the reason for the overheating and the tools to predict it. Overnight the design of electric motors became a science instead of a guess.
Henry Ford wanted to instal batteries and starters in his cars, but charging the batteries was a challenge. The meeting was in the evening, and Henry was forced to wait until Mr. Steinmetz' spent his customary time with his friends children before they went to bed. Henry was on the verge of leaving in discust. When the children went to bed and Stienmetz turned his attention to Henry, he quickly sketched out the basic design of the three brush generator which went on to charge automotive batteries for decades.
yours

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

“In his 1793 dissertation on anecdotes, Isaac Disraeli suggests that it is through the reading of anecdotes that the knowledge of human nature is acquired. The unexpected and finely perceived nuances of the human condition that are contained in anecdotes, he reasons, help give us what we know.

He writes:
The man of most experience still finds that he has new characters to understand, old opinions to confirm, and knowledge to correct as well as to acquire. Human nature like a vast machine, is not to be understood by looking on its surface, but by dwelling on its minute springs and little wheels. Let us no more than be told that anecdotes are the little objects of a little mind. Anecdotes will be found to possess, in some degree, the perfection of instruction.”

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."

Man, you guys are are geeky as me when it comes to this stuff, I am glad I found this group, this is great stuff I can use in my classes.

There are many good stories about Edison and Westinghouse and the war of the currents, my favorite being when Edison needed a term to describe death from electric shock he suggested the term "Westinghoused".

Based on the discussions of this group I will assume that everyone in here has seen every episode of Modern Marvels (I have purchased about a dozen of those, drives my wife nuts)

"Firstly, you could take the barometer up to the roof of the skyscraper, drop it over the edge, and measure the time it takes to reach the ground. The height of the building can then be worked out from the formula H =3D 0.5g x t squared. But bad luck on the barometer."

When I was attending the Navys nuclear power school I was having a hard time with physics, lucky for me my friend had a physics degree from Cornell. We had a couple of weeks for a break between sessions so a bunch of us went to stay in Daytona Beach for awhile. After several beers, my friend produced a stopwatch and some random items from the hotel and started dropping things off the balcony (15th floor)and having me time them and figure out how high up we were. After that, something clicked, I ended up finishing first in my class in physics, I guess I know who to thank, Niels Bohr.

"The Engineer's Bill

There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. Several years later his company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multi-million dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone else to get the machine fixed, but to no avail. In desperation, they called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems in the past.

The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day studying the huge machine. At the end of the day he marked a small x in chalk on a particular component of the machine and proudly stated, "This is where your problem is". The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again.

The company received a bill for $50,000 from the engineer for his service. They demanded an itemised accounting of his charges.

The engineer responded briefly:

One chalk mark .. ..... ..... $1
Knowing where to put it ..... $49,999

It was paid in full and the engineer retired in peace."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back