Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

angle cut on the end of a tube..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASTRZ

Automotive
Nov 23, 2013
i really hope someone has quick solution for what should be very easy... i am very new to solidworks but am a fairly quick learner, however, i have a pressurized pipe system that is about to built (cnc'd) but i need to add a 15degree cut to one end of the main pipe. ive been looking into trying to cut/trim it via a plane, and or another body, but to no luck getting a simple angle cut. please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Add a sketch at the side of the tube with 15 degree angle you want, make sure the sketch is closed, then do an extrude cut through all. That should slice off the end of your tube.
You could also put the sketch on the centerline of the tube, and do the extrude cut both ways from the center.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

MASTRZ,

How did you model the tube? If I model something round and then to angle cuts, I use revolve to get my tube, rather than model a circle, then extrude.

You can model your cut on the same plane you used for your revolve sketch. You can add construction features to the revolve sketch to size the part properly, and position the cut.

--
JHG

thank you everyone for the tips... i did end up just making a triangle and extrude cut the end to get my angle... i do need to work on using surface cuts and working on getting planes at the angles i need ... more planning and doing. thanks again everyone1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back