Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANGLE SECTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

rep001

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2006
US
I need to learn how to make a section at an angle.
my arrows alway end up perpendictular to the cut plane and I want the another angle(22degree). the attached PDF shows the basics for what I need.
REP
NX5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I really don't think there is a way to do what you want.
Why can't you just make a vertical section? It will show the same thing.
What you want is a bit to the left of drawing standards.

The section arrows are per accepted industry standards (ASME, etc). Which standard is it that defines the arrows as shown in your example?

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

The part I'm making is much more complex than what is shown in the PDF. Making the Section view is the important part. My customer is requesting it. I have seen it done in NX from another designer, so I know it can be done.
Thanks for your input.
REP

Complexity of the part doesn't enter into standard section definition, but good luck.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

If you saw this done in NX by someone else then it was "fudged". It really cannot be done any other way.
It really doesn't make sense not to have the arrows perpendicular to the cutting plane, because then it can be translated differntly by each individual.

The example that you have "seen done", does it have the same characteristics and is it associative as a "canned" section line? Or is it a kludge that is more a representation of a section line than a true section line?
I am interested to learn how to do this associatively in NX.

You can do this...I have don it before. It was a while ago but I believe what I did was to save a view in modeling. Snap the CSYS where you need to and then orient view so you are looking at it on screen how you want it to look in the drawing...then save out a new view. View->operation->save as.

Next, in drafting...just place the view you saved out...

Hope this helps.

It's not the orientation of the Drawing View that appears to be of concern to rep001 but rather the angle/orientation of the Section cut-plane relative to projected direction of the Section View itself. Based on what I see in the .pdf, there is no practical way to do this in NX and unless someone can produce a 'standard' which supports this sort of section view creation, we probably will NOT entertain the idea of doing so either.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Is the customer requesting drawings that are to be interpreted per the current ASME standards?
If so, per ASME Y14.3-1994 para 3.1.2: A sectional view should appear on the same drawing sheet with the cutting plane view and be projected from and perpendicular to the cutting plane in conformity with the standard arrangement of views." (emphasis mine)

Yes, it can be done with a little kludging... the issue is that it is not supported by the software because it is not per accepted industry standards.

You have 3 options in the dropdown
1. Orthographic
2. Inherit orientation
3. Section Existing view

And the funny thing is the direction of arrow remains same whether u take 1st or 2nd option from the dropdown. For 1st option Hinge Line and arrow direction should be perpendicular, I agree. But for second option the arrow direction should change as shown in the pdf file, which is not happening in the software.

You can't just tell that it is not industry standard, otherwise "Inherit orientation" should not have been provided by Siemens.

There are uses for inherit orientation that don't necessarily relate to supporting this non standard example. With that said my interpretation would be that all known standards be fully supported at a minimum. I'd argue that it is certainly not the job of the CAD system to enforce the standards as opposed to being able to comply with them.

Beyond that then I tend to think that if CAD systems can exceed minimum expectations while providing useful and superior functions then that ought to be welcomed as a bonus.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

hudson,
Can you tell the other uses of Inherit Orientation that you have quoted?

Well, my basic question remains same, i.e.
A section line contains Two directions,
1. Cutting Plane (that u are defining by a vector)
2. Viewing direction (i.e. the direction of arrow, for which you have the options of "Orthogonal" and "Inherit Orientation")

In "Orthogonal" these two (cutting plane and viewing direction) are perpendicular to each other.

In "Inherit Orientation", they can differ from this 90 degrees relation (orthogonal).

Now, you create two section views, one with "Orthogonal" and one with "Inherit Orientaion", there is absolutely lot of difference between these two section views, which is because of change in the "Viewing Direction" i.e. Arrow Direction. But the "Section Line" is not reflecting this change. How do you differentiate between these two "Section lines"?, Industry standards or software should not create such ambiguity, right?

I'm still confused as to which industry standard allows this ambiguity.
As to software, it is usually the operator causing the ambiguity.

That's the first thing I thought of. You could make the vertical sections short enough to be unnoticable.
If I had to have the section view as requested, I would cut the section at the angle, rotate the view and include the section name and rotation angle under the section.

Looks like an issue w/ your CAD system. More primitive CAD systems like SolidWorks do this no problemo. Perhaps you are missing something in your menu options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back