Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Angle Suspension or Strain Arrangement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why do you propose converting to a strain arrangement? Using deadend insulators will increase the loading on the tower under most loading situations. If the drop to the substation is a short span with a large elevation change, the differential tension could be substantial under extreme conductor temperatures.

Structural analysis doesn't necessarily mean a full blown computerized PLS-Tower model. You may be able to demonstrate that the new loads are less than the original design loads using a simple paper & pencil loading diagram. It would be irresponsible to reconfigure a transmission tower without a reasonable level of structural analysis.

I agree with bacon4life. If the substation deadend does not require some other tension than what is out there now, I see no need in deadending the new alignment. It will cause more loading issues and should be analyzed structurally then.

If you are simply re-aligning the conductors (i.e. no new conductor installed), you should see lower loadings than the current configuration. The only question I would have is if you have enough clearance to the tower with the new alignment...

Thank you bacon4life and bhyde for the responses.

I was thinking of line/substation reliability and the structure design philosophy. If this tower or any of its components experienced a failure then it could affect the substation taking it out of service. I thought having a strain structure if required with guy wires to balance longitudinal tension from line side. Guying will put additional vertical loads on cross-arms requiring strengthening, however it will increase reliability of the line. Do you guys agree with my thoughts?

I agree structural analysis doesn't have to be PLS-Tower analysis. A simple head load check is good. Structure loads with re-configured suspension arrangement will be less than the existing suspension arrangement due to reduced line angle and no change in conductor tension.
I was trying to ask the line reliability issue above if it can be explained in few words to the client.

Clearances are not a problem with re-configured suspension arrangement.

Thank you.

Guy wires attached typical lattice towers are unlikely to work well. In order for a guy wire to pick up much load, the attachment point has to deflect a significant distance. The deflection in an unguyed lattice tower under full design load is going to be less than a few inches. The deflection in an unguyed wood or steel pole under full design load could easily be a couple of feet. The tension in a guy wire attached to a lattice tower will probably depend more on ambient temperature than on the structural loading of the tower. (Note that guyed lattice towers do exist, but they are a completely different design. They have a pivot point at the bottom to allow the entire tower to deflect or rotate under load).

If the tower under consideration experiences a failure, I don't see how the insulator attachment type will protect the substation equipment. If you are referring to failures further down the transmission line cascading towards you substation, reframing it as a deadend won't help unless you specifically design it as a weak link. Only if the tower were actually a full tension deadend could it measurable improve reliability. However, since this seems to be a tangent tower, reframing as a deadend would not add reliability. I think the deadend hardware and splices would actually result in a marginally less reliable configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back