Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Angular Position of Grouped Holes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

random_guy

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2010
US
There are 6 holes in the pattern in question (notice the vertical holes are a different size). The 6 holes are all controlled by the same FCF.

I have applied a 4X 45° callout to the holes. A coworker believes there needs to be a 90° basic dim connecting the two groups. I think it's implied 90°/180° from the centerline. This is a complex part (obviously not the same part shown), and the drawing is already crowded, so I'd like to omit the 90°. I believe this is covered under 1.4(i) and 2.1.1.3 (2009).

I did not find any similar examples in Y14.5. I'm wondering what everyone's 2 cents is on this. It's silly because the intent is clear in both instances, but in the interest of "correctness", I'm genuinely curious.

4X_angle_yvj49x.jpg

90_angle_spghzq.jpg

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools do from the wise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're dealing with basic dimensions and a geometric tolerance, so the relevant rule is 1.4 (j) and 2.1.1.4 (2009) and not 1.4(i) and 2.1.1.3 which are about toleranced dimensions and the application of the general tolerance block defaults. Technically, you don't really have "center lines and surfaces are depicted on 2D orthographic engineering drawings intersecting at right angles" as mentioned in the standard, not such that pass through the relevant holes, at least.

Thanks, I meant to refer to that section but grabbed the wrong one when typing my post out.

I think you're correct. If the centerlines were to extend to the center, then it would likely fit that definition. As is, however, I'm not sure it does.

I find that too often we get hung up on these subtleties, when in reality a machinist will look at the print and know exactly what the intent is anyway.

[1X 45] and [4X 90] makes the most sense. In the case of using an indexing plate, that is how the machinist would index the holes, rather than setting back to zero each time and the 45 4 times.

In a parametric software that is also how the pattern would be created - 45 on the lead hole, then three more at 90 (always the off-by-one problem.)

3DDave - it's 6 holes, not 4. Essentially a mirrored pattern of 3 holes 90° apart.

Eric - that's how Creo displays centerlines. Once printed they show properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back