Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Angular velocity not propogating through a body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harshitpuri

Automotive
Dec 30, 2014
IN
i'm trying to simulate a rollover of a rigid body with point/structural mass inertia in order to analyze the barrier on which it will be falling for impact analysis. For this i've created a 3d deformable plate acting as ground and thereby converting it into rigid body via rigid body constraint through a reference point coupling.the barriers are in tie contact with ground. i've given angular velocity to one edge of the plate and the whole body is in the gravity load, however so while doing so the plate is not rotating although its boundary conditions are not constrained of the rotation axis about which it is rotating say x. and other translational dof are also free which should allow other end to rotate. the angular velocity is not propagating through plate. i've attached a picture showing the angular velocity is not transmitting through the plate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see the attached picture, but I think this will solve your problem: In order to apply angular velocities and displacements to parts/surfaces/edges in Abaqus, you need to couple the part/surface/edge that you want to rotate to a reference point, and apply the rotation to that reference point. So instead of applying your angular velocity to the edge of the plate, couple the edge of the plate to a reference point and apply your angular velocity to that reference point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back