Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Animation Motion Study Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

vava1

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2008
US
Hello, I've been working on a animation with the SolidWorks' built-in motion study for a simple assembly.  I started out using distance mates to convey movement, but was told it is better to convert the file into a parasolid to strip mates and use triads for movement which I've done.  I now have issues with lost files that I have to reinsert and have to apply mates again but still getting unusual individual part movements for no reason (was working fine then parts flutter and get out of alignment?)  I understand that SolidWorks Composer is much better for creating animations as it simplifies the file data.  However considering the high cost for composer, I would like to know if anyone has had success with other softwares that cost much less or even free?  Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used the New Exploded View in the Configurations. Creating an exploded view will work with any mated parts. I create the exploded view, save the part, then open up a motion study, click on the animation wizard tab, to use the exploded view, you just created. Type in how many seconds you want the explode to take, and then I even rotate the assembly using the animation wizard, then click finish and you have an animation. You can adjust the motion study if two components move at the same time, but did not in the exploded view. After you are satisfied with the motion study, click on the Save Animation tab, to save it as a AVI video, rename it, use 30 frames per second, when you save it, another window will pop up, uncheck the Key frames, then hit OK. It will several minutes to create the video, for a 20 secound clip. I use this method alot to show end customers how a complicated plastic injection mold will open and create a molded part. This will take under a hour to create a video clip, after you have done it a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back