Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anisotropic Inelastic material model for a Shell Element

Status
Not open for further replies.

dew28

Structural
Apr 1, 2012
AU
Dear all,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking some time to read this. I am currently trying to model an anisotropic sheet material using ANSYS. The material exhibits elastic-plastic nature under tension/compression. I started with a pure elastic orthotropic material model with SHELL63 which truely represented the stress-strain behaviour in the elastic range. After that, I used multilinear elastic material model MELAS. While selecting the material model, I had to go with the isotropic option as MELAS assumes that the element was isotropic during the initial elastic range calculation even if I entered orthotropc material properties. I could not use the anisotropic plastic option of ANISO as SHELL elements do not support this material behaviour. Can anyone suggest me with any alternative with SHELL elements which would correctly model my material in ANSYS 14.5 (APDL)?
Thanking you all again heaps...

dew28

Dew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shell63 are legacy element in ansys 145, use the current advised one, shell181 with plastic capability, you may find what you want there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back