Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anode Al-Zn-Ln produces Carbon monoxide 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadieKerang

Materials
Oct 11, 2010
MY
Dear all, i have one situation where sacrificial anode Al-Zn-Ln is somehow generates a carbon monoxide gas within 30 to 100ppm, when we used gas detector near to it . The anode is submerged in seawater tank and there is a salt covering it. The anode still in good condition with no sign of reduction in dimension.have someone experienced this kind of matter.please share if any.tq

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some CO monitors are cross sensitive to hydrogen. It would be very strange if anything immersed in seawater generated CO, but not a surprise at all that it generated a bit of H2.

Hydrogen is not a product produced that is normally associated with an anode, as hydrogen generation is normally associated with the protected structure (cathode). The Anode is more associated with the production of oxygen and oxides. In high current CP applications it is also possible to produce Chlorine gas from the anode.

I cannot think of n reason for CO to e produced under normal seawater Sacrificial CP circumstance. I would suggest that as suggested, the Carbon Monoxide meter is being hoodwinked by the oxygen and oxide production from the anode. Chemically there is quite a bit going during CP current being applied, but CO is not normally 1 of them.

If there's an anode in a structure containing seawater, something else is being protected from corrosion- and the presence of traces of H2 in the headspace of the same structure would not be a surprise. The likelihood that this CO detector is seeing CO is diminishingly small unless the OP is not telling us the whole story. An oxidant will not set off a CO detector generally- CO is a reductant, as is H2, and the electrochemical sensors use this property to detect the gas. The difference is that you're concerned about H2 perhaps when its concentration gets near 10% LEL or 4,000 ppm, whereas 20 ppm CO is definitely reason for concern. The meter is therefore sensitive, and generally used in environments where CO would be present but H2 likely wouldn't be- i.e. around combustion equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back