Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Another engine oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd400guy

Materials
Jan 30, 2003
US
Yesterday I had the oil changed in my 2000 VW Passat, 2.8L V6. (I don't own a garage yet and don't want to change my oil on the street in front of my apartment).

The tech "mistakenly" put conventional Wolf's Head 15W-40 oil in instead of synthetic (they carry Pentosyn 5W-40) which I asked for. I've been running synthetic since break-in (break-in was conventional). Mobil-1 mostly, then to Castrol Syntec. Turns out the M1 doesn't have VW 502.00 approval. I did hear M1 makes a 0W-40 that does meet VW's spec, but good luck finding any.

Finally to the question: Besides a shorter change interval, will running conventional oil affect anything on an engine that's been running synthetic for 50,000 miles? Should I go back and insist they put synthetic in ASAP or wait until I drive 3000 miles? When I do go for my next change, should I again put synthetic in (I'm thinking yes)?

BTW, I know all about the differences between synthetic and conventional oil, so I don't need that explained. I'm just not fully versed on putting conv. in an engine that's only run syn.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greg,
Outside of not doing what I asked, in your opinion,is there any problem with what they did? Will it cause any adverse effects?

They did knock a significant amount off the normal charge for an oil change (I'd pay more if I bought oil and filter and did it myself) since they screwed up.

rd400guy
As far as simply Synthetic Vs. Conventional, I would have no problem. As to the viscosity, if you live in an extremely cold environment, then I would simply give it a bit of warm up time before driving.
Switching back will not be a problem. I do find it interesting that VW still runs 40 weight. I cant think of any other passenger car running 40 weight.

Rd400guy--just as a precaution, I would check to verify that the Wolf's Head 15w-40 is rated for spark iginition engine (i.e. S rating, not C rating). A lot of the 15w-40 oils are for diesels.

Well, for those that care, here's an update. I called the shop that did the oil change and asked about the heavier weight conventional vs. lighter weight synthetic, with respect to it getting colder here lately. The owner (who used to be the mechanic for 100 years) said he's run the WH 15W-40 in VW's all winter long with no problems.

However, since I was concerned, he said to remind him the next time I bring it in and he'll put the synthetic in at 1/2 price. He also asked how long it'll take me to put 3k mi on it, and since I'm driving 500+ miles a week, I'll be seeing him again very soon.

So, by the time I'm ready for my next change, I'll be getting Pentosyn (the good stuff) for cheap, right about the time I'm closing on my house that has a garage (!) and is 47 miles closer to where I work. Then it should be quite a while before I have to worry about oil change, and I'll be able to do it myself.

But thanks guys, for all the input.

Moving that close to your work I can see your next problem being the muffler rotting out because it doesn't get up to temperature on your short commute.

rmw

A 47 x 2 mile commute if it is mostly free-flowing interstate is pretty mild service. When you move in closer it will be more severe, FWIW. What's your change interval on the Pentosin? Most cars in EU run 10K+ on their synthetics.

I'd have some concerns about flowability of the 15W-40. Especially in the cooler weather. The 0W spec is there for a reason and I believe it has to due with faster lube on startup, and possibly some to do with fuel economy.

The difference between 0-5-10-15 is huge when it starts to get really cold (sub -20C). 15W will come out like honey, and the cranking RPM will be way down in the cold, making starting more difficult, and loads the battery down a lot, and if it's already weak, it may strand you. As long as it's changed soon, don't worry. I can't think of any harm done other than reduced economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back