Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Side valve diesel engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcobra2401

Automotive
Mar 25, 2024
US
thread71-400431 to further dive into alternative diesel engine designs, and I am by no means schooled in any areas regarding this just a general curiosity and Gained knowledge over the years.

The sleeve valve, side valve and one other "valve" type that is a rod with holes cut it that spins like a cam shaft has been tried.

But how about this. an rod under spring pressure in a cylinder, parallel with the cylinder bore, that protrudes into the head. Corresponding Slots cut into the side of the cylinder and rod to allow for the flow of air and exhaust. See illustration

It would reduce the amount of waisted space minamizing the loss of pressure during the combustion stroke and still allowing for high compression required for deisels. simplify manufacturing with the possibility of no need for a "head" to the cylinders making it able to be casted as a single peice to be bolted to a crank case.

What ya think? Any potential worth diving deeper into? And pardon the art skills it was just the get the idea jotted down before it disapeared. And high I'm new here.
17113455474677570926125148845748_gyqmhr.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

20240409_214528_p33geu.jpg

After a few restless nights thought of a solution to the void created by the ports. I give ya the locking slide valve. This would be the intake valve but both valves will be mirror images of each other

The portion that plugs the ports has a curve on the chamber side that would be identical to the cylinders radius. The cam/pushrod has its own spring, separate of the valve's.

Any problems? Again I ain't going for world class emissions.

Before it's pointed out, made an error with the "port lock" it's supposed to have space for the push rod to stay in one place while the port lock moves back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back