Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another mathcad alternative 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks interesting.

For me, not so much.

It's multiplatform, except Linux.

There's an iPhone version, but it's lagging behind the other versions, update-wise, and it's iCrippled like all iPhoneApps.

The author is clearly growing tired of iTunes and other Applecrap that makes it difficult to support a multiplatform application on the iPhone.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

If it could handle units like Mathcad, I'd definitely looks into it.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I think until someone puts out a product that supports units, MathCad will be safe in maintaining it's market share on this type of software tool.

Should one of these groups ever figure out that units is a key component....MathCad will see some real competition.

SMath Studio now supports units. It appears to be the best alternative to Mathcad.

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

If I had nothing else, then it might be barely tolerable.

> As is, the latest version of SMath uses units as a separate font style, so doing 5V/1ohm requires several additional mouseclicks to get the units in. Mathsoft made a conscious decision to use the same fontstyle for both text and units to avoid this problem, albeit at the expense of having newbies doing something like m:1kg, and then wondering why their calculations break.

> The temperature units appear to be unconnected, i.e., it does not recognize °C = K, nor does it convert between scales. Mathsoft's internal representation is always in SI, regardless of the actual unit entered.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Given the choice, I would definitely be using Mathcad. However, while I have access to Mathcad at work, I can't afford a personal licence. I will definitely be taking a close look at SMath now that it supports units. It looks like it needs a few more mouse clicks to enter units etc, but the benefits of creating units-aware calculations will be well worth the trouble for me.

While it claims to be able to read Mathcad 14 xmcd files, every one that I tried, failed.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

After trying Mathcad and TEDDS I think the best alternative is a spreadsheet. I now use a spreadsheet almost exclusivley for my calculations.

New Release 0.88 fixes the Mathcad compatibility issue, and the units feature now works as well.

Compatibility between SMath Studio and Mathcad is pretty limited - my own testing suggests very few "real-world" calculation workbooks will survive the "round-trip" totally intact (especially if - like me - you want to use units).

Nevertheless, it is a great piece of work - highly recommended for any one who wants Mathcad functionality but can't afford the price of admission. I figure it is worth supporting, so will be donating to the developer to encourage him to keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back