Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Another power substation attack; Dec 25 2022; Pierce County, Washington 6

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TugboatEng said:
Just hold off on assigning political blame to this in this "engineering" forum.

We'll, you're the one who inserted 'political' inferences into this "engineering" forum, specifically at time stamps '30 Dec 22 21:58' and '31 Dec 22 19:15'.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Gentlemen... (binary term)...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

While I have opinions on politics, there is no evidence in play that makes them germane to this thread, so I will hold my peace.
However for those who want to spar, . . . [swords]. . . please be polite.

Tug,

Isn't most of our political bickering unwarranted? As long as the villains can keep us bickering, they can keep their power and ignore the little people.

From the manner of damage, it would appear that the perps knew exactly what they were doing.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I bet we all agree on this:
Critical infrastructure - including substations - should be resilient, so these facilities can withstand vandals and semi-organized bad actors and hurricanes and floods and earthquakes and years of neglect and non-maintenance. That's the only engineering I see in this thread.
And I will do better in the future to resist bloviating; else, this site will trend toward Engineering Twitter.

As mentioned in other threads, our power grid is not critical infrastructure. Protecting it therefore should be left up to the utility's discretion.

Maybe not in Florida (unless you are looking at AC stuff) but in N.Dakota and other northern areas including Alaska, I would consider it critical and far beyond what you would want to trust utilities with.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Oh great. That works.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back