Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Text Height in Paper Space 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicopee

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2003
US
Does anyone have an idea on how I can do the following? Without disturbing the text height in model space which was calculated for a specific height(3/32") on an E size paper, I am trying to increase that same text height in another layout for an A size paper so that I can read that information, otherwise, I'll need a magnifying glass.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our usual approach:

Copy text on top of itself, scale up, put on separate layer, control viewport layer visibility.

1. Use labels. Labels in model space always show up the same size in paper space. To test this, make a label in model space, create a viewport in paperspace, and you will notice that as you scale in and out in the VP, the label text changes size. When yout hit REGEN, it redraws to the correct and same apparent size every time.

2. If you have the same issue with dimensioning, use dimstyle and under "FIT" tab, you can select an overall scale which is global or you can also select scale dimension from layout. As you were only inquiring for text, you probably already new that part.

3. You can also copy the text from the model space and copy it into the paper space and scale it down if it is only for one little part of the drawing. Obviously you would not want to do this with all of your text and I generally hate it when I find someone has placed text in PS when it shouldn't be there. Just don't hand that drawing off to the next guy and expect him to know what the heck is going on.

4. Probably cleanest way is to keep a separate second drawing and grab all relevant text and scale it. Use short cuts such as selecting similar and then change scale. Of course your pitfall is that changing one doc will not update the other. I guess it all deopends on your application.

I gotta vote "NO WAY" to objects in model space and text in paper space. A couple reasons:

1. Biggest reason of all- You can be in model space and have no idea what is in paper space. They need to share the same "space" so you get the look / fit / feel right. I know you can work in MS through PS but then you have the added task of switching back and forth all the time.

2. Efficient use of layers keeps it simple and as clean as possible. Suppose you are working on street improvements at an intersection. You call out a station and offset for various entities such as curb returns, scuppers, fire plugs, manholes, water valves, etc. However, the station and offset for one street will have different values for the intersecting street. Also, you N-S street may be on a different sheet than your E-W street. So now, you would propose that the street entity be in model space, some text is on one sheet (N-S street plan & profile) and some other text is on another sheet (E-W plan & profile). No way. If you learn to make everything dynamic, you move a fire hydrant, all labels automatically update since they are tied together.

3. Probably about 50 other reasons...

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Switching is a double click - easy. Biggest benefit comes when you share or use other people's drawings as XRefs. Only model space is shown and you can build assemblies without all the layer visibility issues. I'm also talking mechanical drawings and you are not. But I find the rule to be rather well worth enforcing.

I'm 100% with civilsid.

If I'm using someone else's drawing as xref, and I do not want to see the text IN MODEL SPACE, I simply turn off the appropriate layers.

This is true no matter what type of drawing you are using (even if they ARE mechanical!).

What if I NEED to see the dimensioning on someone else's mech drawing?

IFRs, I respectfully suggest you review the CAD industry, (and Autodesk's) help and support documents on this issue before you make pronoucements like you just made (per 'the rule to be rather well worth enforcing').

I deal with a lot of other people's drawings and the lack of consistent "rules" is a real pain. You might think that freezing a few layer is not a problem, but just try to (1) find them (2) freeze them and (3) un-freeze them when you need to see something and do this for 10 XRefs from 8 different vendors who have dozens of different text, comments, notes, borders, title block, etc layers. The drawings that have only objects in model space are simply much easier to build assemblies from. Oh yes - why do you think Autocad has paper space? Because it helps organize visualize and utilize! Don't use it - that's OK with me, but I find it quite efficient if used as I suggest. It would have solved chicopee's issue before it even got started. Since I am obviously on the wrong end of this discussion here, I'll stop here and not waste electrons or your time henceforth.

I GUESS THERE IS NO SHORT CUT SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM, SO WHAT I DID WAS TO COPY THE DRAWING IN MS, THEN IN PS I INVOKE THE VPLAYER COMMAND AND FROZE ALL OBJECTS OF THAT COPIED DRAWING AND THEN SCALED THE NEEDED TEXT. NONETHELESS, IT WAS A LOT OF WORK. CIVISLID, I'LL TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT THAT LABEL NEXT TIME AROUND.
THKS! TO ALL RESPONDERS.

Just found out from Autodesk website that the coming AutoCAD v2008 will add in the automated scaling annotation feature. The annotation and text will be scaled to the viewport scale factor. The automated annotation can even have different visibility control in different viewport scale factor. Look very promising. Can't wait to get a copy to try out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back