Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Another tower leaning in Italy? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They both lean. The photos don't capture the leans well. I have some better photos, will try to find them and post.

Those towers are right in the center of Bologna.

I take it back. A review of my photos doesn't show a lean on the tall tower. My recollection from 10 years ago must be wrong.
DSCN9936_v4u1fm.jpg

Yeah, not sure. I thought they both were leaning, when I was there. Went back and reviewed my other photos, and this one seems to show the tall tower leaning.

DSCN9939_pwrbjt.jpg

CNN said:
Acoustic sensors have been placed around the tower to monitor any stress noise of cracks or creaks, while a pendulum has also been installed to track movement
Unfortunately we have lost our foremost expert on acoustic prediction of failures. Stockton Rush.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Apparently it's been leaning considerably since the 14th century. If they're worried about the tilt increasing or vibrations from modern road traffic making that happen, then they should certainly measure it and be prepared to intervene, but modern building engineering would easily be up to stabilising the tilt. Afaik Bologna is not built on unstable mud like San Francisco so it isn't going to a be problem to find a solid anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back