Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another way of Compressing your files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaugh

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2001
US
Hello all,

(This is a little bit of an older tip, but I thought some of you may find this to work as well if not better than my previous post.)

I just sat down with the file that started the post about Compressing files. That particular file has 28 helixes in it. So you can imagine how much of a pain it is to load, and save. The file is a Braided Hose (just the outer metal braided section, not the hose itself) and it saves, after I run the Unfrag Utility, at just around 5.15MB. I tried just Winzipping it, and it only compressed down to 4.06MB.

So I went back to the model and extruded a box around the outer most diameter of the Braided Hose. I then re-saved the model and closed SW. I then ran the Unfrag Utility and went to Windows explorer and checked the file size. The size was down to 73.5KB. I zipped it down to 21.0 KB. More than small enough to even send over hotmail accounts.

I named the feature "Delete Me" so when someone gets the file they will know to delete that feature. That will bring the model back to where it was right before I extruded that last feature.

I hope this will help you be able to send more files this away if you need to.
Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

That is quite interesting. This leads me to believe that the large file size is caused by the visual representation of the part rather than the formulas behind it. This definately seems like a real slick way to reduce the size. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

I've heard of this trick as well, except my friend that I heard this from creates a Cut-Extrude around the entire model, but with the same results. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

I believe this is due to the fact that SW stores Open GL information of the part in the part drawing. By creating a simple shape the Open GL portion of the file becomes very small. Hence the great saving on file space, particulary with a complex Open GL feature such as helix's.

Best Regards

Kevin
kevin@ketd.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back