Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Wind Load Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmendler

Structural
Jan 30, 2003
US
I am reviewing the wind loads used in the design of several buildings at our plant. The wind speed used in the design is 120mph (ASCE-7 02). My question is, this is the 3sec gust, so how can I relate this back to the Saffir-Simpson scale which is based on a 1min average. The NWS says the 3sec. gust is generally 20-25% higher meaning my building is only good for 95mph sustained winds?? This brings me down to a Cat. I hurricane not a Cat. III? Anybody??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Table 1609.3.1 in the IBC shows the corresponding fastest mile wind speed to the 3-second gust wind speed. The V3s is in the range of 15 to 20 mph more than the Vfm.

-Mike

The 3 sec gust wind is the basic wind speed V

Fig 6.1 in ASCE-7 is also at 33 ft above ground for Category C Exposure (Open terrain, with scattered obstructions having heights generally less than 30 ft.).

Velocity pressure coeffient (Kz and/or Kh) is used to adjust to various heights.

Gust Effect Factor G is used to modify the applied wind pressure based on gust intensity. (Doesn't apply in this case).

There is a mean hourly wind speed in ASCE-7 in Eq 6-12
Vz = b(z/33)**? x V(88/60) that converts the 3 sec gust to a sustained wind.

jmendler:
I have a table from Florida 2004 Statewide Emergency Shelter Plan - Table G-1. Equivalent Basic Wind Speeds.

Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Intensity Scale:
Hurricane Category 1 =
ASCE-7 90mph (3-second Gust) = 75mph Fastest-Mile = 74mph 1-minute Sustained

Hurricane Category 2 =
ASCE-7 120mph (3-second Gust) = 100mph Fastest-Mile = 96mph 1-minute Sustained

Hurricane Category 3 =
ASCE-7 140mph (3-second Gust) = 120mph Fastest-Mile = 111mph 1-minute Sustained

jmendler,

look in the commentary of ASCE 7-02; figure C6-2. This is the Durst curve, and you can use it to get a ratio of V1min to V3sec.

from that graph, V3-sec/V3600sec = 1.525
V1-min/V3600sec = 1.24

V1-min/V3600 = V1-min/V3600sec / V3-sec/V3600sec = .813

I'm not sure if you can use the IBC table 1609.3.1 to do this, it only relates Vfm to V3-sec, and does not involve V 1-hour at all.

regards,

chichuck

Catagory 5 huricane equals to ASCE 07-02 195mph wind, I am not sure if the figures and equations for Cp, Kz, qz, etc. still applies. ASCE 7-02 wind map only goes up to 150mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back