Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Another wire colour question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveRosser

Electrical
Jul 8, 2005
CA
My question is regarding conductor colour for 0vdc. I have 60204-1, which states that DC control ccts be blue. Does this imply that the 0vdc should be blue as well? The north american wiring we do always identifies them with different colours, but for European control wiring I would like to know either what colour I can use, or what colour is normally used to avoid confusion.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dave,

I'm assuming, always a dangerous act, that you are wiring a machine of some kind. 60204-1 is the standard for electrical equipment of machines. If it is for the fixed electrical installation that is BS7671 (The IEE wiring regulatons) and I can't help.

Yes we normally use blue for both +ve & -ve dc identified by cable markers. It must NOT be light blue as this is for nuetral of ac.

Hope this helps

John

Your assumption was correct, it is wiring for a machine. All of our wires will be labelled with cable markers, therefore it wouldnt be a problem using the same colour. Are you allowed to use a different colour (excluding colours already designated for other purposes)? Or should I just go with the flow...

Dave,

I've just had a look at the words in 60204-1

Firstly it says that Blue is for recommended for dc control circuits. dc power are recommended to be black.

These are recomendations so you could do something different.

Paragraph 14.2.1 lists colours that can be used it also says that you can used bi-colour cables as long as they can not be confused with green and yellow. If you can readily obtain it you cold use blue with a red stripe and blue with a black strip but we just stick to plain blue

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back