Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSI/AISC 358

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbjones2001

Structural
Sep 19, 2002
US
Does anybody know if AISC 358 is available for public review and/or use? I have searched, and cannot find a copy. I'm interested to see how this compares to FEMA 350.

Any comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Draft title: "Prequalified Connections for Special and Intermediate Steel Moment Frames for Seismic Applications." I have heard from a member of the AISC Connection Prequalification Review Panel, authors of the standard, that it willl be published in April of 2005. To me that means May or early June ;).

Sorry, no. I downloaded it off of AISC's site when the public ballot comment period was open, but it's been removed from there now.

Let's make a clear distinction. FEMA 353 is one document. AISC 358 is a different document. I've got a flyer from Steel Structures Technology Center saying that seminars on steel connections will be offered in six cities from April through June dealing with the "AISC 358 Prequalified Connection standard," and referring back to FEMA 350 and FEMA 353. See Maybe they will pass out preprints of the new AISC 358.

The April date may be pretty firm. I understand the main AISC spec is supposed to be posted then too. This is being done in conjunction with their annual steel conference that is in Montreal this year, so there is PR incentive for them to not slip the date.

I attended the Steel Structures Technology Center seminar in Portland. Sure enough, the publication of ANSI/AISC 358 has been held up, apparently for administrative reasons, and not due to problems over content. Based on my review of the draft copy, it's a useful and usable document. It features detailed design procedures for RBS and bolted end plate connections embodying all available research, and, of course, prequalified under AISC 341.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back