Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ansi standard 5 axis accuracy test block

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaineam

Aerospace
Jun 5, 2012
US
Anyone heard of a Standard machine manufacturers use for testing their machines when they arrive? We are acquiring two Makino Mag 1 machines and need a test block to check the accuracy of the machine. I have the post done and will be programming the parts but until we test the machine and figure out what accuracy settings work best for this machine and that everything moves correctly when utilizing G43.4 and G68.2.

If anyone knows of a standard block/part that are being used when testing 5 axis machine accuracy and movement I would appreciate the feedback or web address!

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the info! This part seems to be pretty outdated. Probably useful information as well but I'm looking for a high speed machining test part. Maxing the machine out at 33000rpm and over 1000ipm. Might go ahead and program and test this part as well for more G68.2 moves but really need to test the 5 axis movement of the machine as well. Might just have to make a part per what I am looking for If nothing else I guess.

Thanks for any info everyone. Always great info on this site!

if you scroll down the pdf you'll see all kinds of standards for 5 axis machines. I didn't realize the model I attached was for a 4 axis horizontal.

Ray S
NX9.0.3.4 MP1

'High Speed' is relative and has a lot of factors in its definition. The speeds for aluminum are different than for Inconel. 33k spindles did not exist back then in the size that could be attached to a milling machine. I took a 1 week High speed seminar in 1980 and they were talking of 17K spindle speeds and less than 400ipm feed rates. Machine rigidity has a lot to do with accuracy, maybe more than other factors.

To test that new machine at 1000ipm, you will need a long straight cut just to get the table up to that speed. Maybe a sine wave cut may be best for test the feed rate maximum. Unless you are cutting wing spars very few parts have the length that can utilize that feed rate. Take the NAS979 test part and use it for machine repeatability. If you have a long travel, maybe do 2, one at each end and do the same cut on each end to test accuracy between the ends of travel. cut the sine wave when traveling between the 2 test blocks.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back