Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ansi to Din 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am only familiar with the DIN Standard as it pertains to drafting and basic design (fits and the like).

Any new book on drafting should have both DIN and ANSI standards. Perhaps not as in-depth as you would like but you will get some information.

My experience with both standards, however, would lead me to beleave that you will not find a cross-reference type of book. The standars cover pretty much the same material but since ANSI uses Imperial numbers and DIN uses metric you will not find a direct equivalent between them.

A few months ago, I was searching for the differences between ASME, ANSI, DIN and ISO codes. My understanding is that there is joint effort to make a global standard under the ISO group, of which ASME makes up roughly 90%. The new codes would be a callobration between all the different codes and standards body.

However, if your company is continually going to be working with both regulations, it may be useful to invest the money to buy both standards, and use the code revelant to the country where the equipment is going.

Hope this provides you some insight.

For flanges checkout ISO 7005. This includes dimensions and pressure ratings for both DIN 2615 flanges, and ASME B16.5 flanges (only now 150# is called PN20)

For piping and pressure vessel codes the "new approach" includes development of EN codes for both:
Both are preliminary but are due to be released in final versions this summer I'm told. As they seem to have been rushed through (as discussed by Fawkes in the CEN forum) there are probably still many errors. The piping code which I have seen is based on a mixture of ASME/DIN and BS standards for the various sections, e.g. flange design as in ASME/BS, branch design as in BS, etc.

prEN13480, part 1 to 5) - the new piping code
prEN13445, part 1 to 7) - the new pressure vessel code

For fittings I don't know of any common standards but butt welding fittings are covered by DIN 2605, 2609, 2615, 2616 and 2617. These fittings are not the same as per ASME B16.9, except for main dimensions.

Valves cannot be compared for dimensional standards as the DIN and ASME pressure ratings are not the same. Furthermore DIN have several dimensions for each combination of valve type, size and rating whereas ASME normally have only one or two.

For materials checkout all the threads in the Materials engineering forum with links to web sites. There are lots of comparison tables around with suitable substitutions, but no exact cross reference list, as there are typically small variations in chemical composition from ASME to DIN.

Fawkes
I had never heard of EN 1902 so I looked it up at (german standard supplier)
It came up with the title:
"Adhesives - Test method for adhesives for floor coverings and wall coverings "
This doesn't look much like flanges.
Can you tell more about this?

Regards
Mogens

Fawkes

Thanks
Good website about the new approach by the way

Only I'm getting more and more confused now about which standards to follow.

I thought that the ISO standards were established to make uniform worldwide standards. When I saw the ISO 7005 for flanges covering both class and PN designated flanges, I did not look for EN standards to cover the same - at least not with new numbers. Whenever possible I expected that EN standards covering the same topic would be adopted with the same name, like fex. EN ISO 6708.

This means perhaps that I can throw out ISO 7005, since it is not in the new approach?

Sorry Hedge for the thread turning slightly out of direction.

Regards
Mogens

Good work Fawkes.

I can see now that I do need the new EN standards, in order to ensure ratings are compatible with those.

Regards
Mogens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back