Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS CLASSIC MODELING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The rule of thumb I've always used is that the modeling capability of Ansys is about equivalent to that of AutoCAD. I haven't used the newest versions of AutoCAD but as of a few years ago I'd say. Best thing is to draw things up within your CAD package and use Ansys Classic modeling capabilities to repair geometry, cut volumes for meshing, etc. IF you're lucky enough to have a DesignModeler license with Workbench you can export an *.anf from there which is the equivalent of Ansys Classic CAD geometry.

To answer your question, I doubt very many people model within Ansys unless their geometry is relatively simple or they need to build models parametrically.

-Brian

We do have DesignModeler with a plugin, but I have always wrote out an ANSYS *.inp file which only output the mesh and not the sufaces. Where exactly is the *.anf file save? I don't recall seeing that option anywhere as an export.

Thanks for you reply
JT

Hi,
to relate to the original question:
I made some "complex" models with ANSYS Classical, but it was only because I hadn't any opportunity to do otherwise! It was a real pain and it took me five or perhaps ten times the time it would have required with a CAD.

Regards

Currently Classical Ansys is all I use.

I work for a company that design fairly complex antenna products. Classical is the only way to go on large complicated structures. The one advantage classical has over design modeller is that you can model the entire complex system. Were as design modeller you may have to breakdown the system into smaller parts.

It will of corse take long to learn classical but I think it is well worth it.

I can send you some examples if you have somewhere i can post them.

When importing a parasolid into ANSYS, the volume generated by ANSYS is scaled down in dimensions. How do we overcome this problem.

Thanks,
Sri

Hi,
sriuma99, try unchecking "allow scaling" in the Parasolid import dialog box.
However, once you know that a scaling has occurred, it's very easy to scale back to the correct values.

Please remember to open a new thread for questions different than the o.p.; don't hijack threads...

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back