Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS default variables (parameters) and functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richonlinedeal

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2007
US
Hello all,

Could any of you ANSYS experts give me some hints how to chack the entire list of ANSYS default variables (parameters) and functions? Did some search, but couldn't get them.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jerry,
Take a look at the /STAT command in the documentation. This is the best way to check current parameter values or specifics depending on whether they're scalar or array. If you want to do this interactively you can go to the Parameters pulldown menu and:

For Scalar Parameters-
Parameters -> Scalar Parameters

For Array Parameters-
Parameters -> Array Parameters -> Define/Edit

Sorry if the GUI paths are not exactly correct. I don't have Ansys loaded here at home I'm just going from memory. They should get you close though.

-Brian

Thanks a lot Brian.

Sorry I might not make my question clear enough in the last post. Actually I want to get the list of all the labels (varibles) like UX, UY, UZ, ROTX, ROTY, ROTZ , etc, and all their meaningful definition.

Best,

Jerry

What do you mean you want to get a list? A list of what exactly? What do you intend to do with this or for what purpose? Do you not understand their fundamental definitions?

Your question is still pretty vague. Do you want to visualize displacements? Use them within some sort of routine. You need to be more specific Jerry.

-Brian

Thanks brian.

Bascially I want to get all the labels used in ANSYS. I know some of them like basic ones like UX, ROTX,VOLT, MAG,... etc. But not all of them. The reason I want know this is because I need to do some specific APDL or general programming and some time I don't know the corresponding label used by ANSYS. For example, If I want to do a Thermal analysis, I need to know all the thermal labels like TEMP, TBOT, TE2, TE3, TTOP... in order to do the programming.

On the other hand, it would be nice if I can get all the predefined functions like "ndnext".

Jerry

I don't know if there is a way to do this other than to define these in your program based on element type. I've never seen any sort of *get function that returns valid DOF's. If I were doing this I would set up some sort of conditional statement with pre-defined DOF's for each element type used. I don't think it's possible to extract these from Ansys unless you have some way of reading and interpreting the binary files Ansys produces during matrix formulation.

Valid DOF's are available for each element in the documentation. Maybe someone else will have better feedback for you. Never had the need to do this so I'm not of much help. You may want to contact your ASD to see if they have any answers for you.

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back