Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS Kills PATRAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaolsen

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2004
US
I have been using the Patran/Nastran suite. I just installed Ansys on my box and now Partan will not run. I know you're all saying "So??", but I do need to work in both Applications for a while. Patran tries to start up. It says that it acquires a license and then I get the friendly Windows box that says that Partan experienced an error and needs to close and I can choose to send an error report or not. Once I choose either, Patran closes. We no longer have support for Patran and Ansys says that it's a Patran problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also check the service pack you're using for your OS and flavour of windows (see the ANSYS website for known issues). There are known problems with these.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Hi,
I once experienced similar problem with the pair Ansys/Cosmos. The reason in that case was an erroneous installation of the flexlm services: the same service was used by both programs, which could not do. A flex service (not necessarily several flex servers) was needed for each "calling" application. In addition to this, I agree the port problem may be the reason in this case.

Regards

A little more clarification...

The Ports were not the problem. Ansys is 1055 and Patran is 1700. The problem only occurs on machines that have ever had Ansys installed on them. Patran tries to start, says that it has acquired a license, then crashes. If I completely uninstall both Ansys and Patran from the machine and then reinstall Partan, Patran will run on some machines, but not on others.

cbrn: Is the flex service on the client or the server? Patran doesn't seem to be using a service to get licenses. There is just an Environment variable that points to the Patran servers.

Thanks-

E

eaolsen,

I don't understand very well the behaviour of Patran, but it seems that these machines do have some differences in the OS configuration. For example, Pro/E v.18 used to require "simple network services" to be installed necessarily: something like that may happen with Patran (which I don't know).
The flex services are on server's side. Usually the client configuration is only a variable, like in your case. Generally (Ansys is in these cases) the application has a client setup procedure with which you will make it point to the correct server (port@machine-address).
I don't really know more than that because I myself once set up a "single-machine" Ansys config, and at my workplace the server/clients installations are made by specialized people. What I can say is that Ansys is generally not "invasive": if it is, then there is a services' problem or a bad pointer to the license.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back