Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS MATERIAL IMPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11m

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2008
US
I've been trying to import a part from solidworks to ansys workbench 12, but when i go to engineering data, the software shows the default steel, not the material that i had applied to solidworks. According to the help files that is the procedure. Anyone knows how to do this?

Also, does anyone know how to convert solidworks materials to ansys engineering data? (from .sldmat to .xml)

Thanks,

David.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dave,
I am relatively new to Workbench 12 but when I was exploring for a solution for your case, I found an option but I am not sure if you have already tried that.
Go to the tool bar in workbench and in that go to "options" tab and then to "geometry import". There try checking material properties and see if that works. I don't have any solidworks model to try that.

Good Luck

I've beeen reading the documentation, and it appears that ansys is not capable of importing solidworks maerials, just pro/e, nx and inventor. Anyone can confirm that?

By the way, i tried the soluution posted above, a couple of times without any luck.

Where can i donwload more materials for ansys?

Thanks.

Hi

Solidworks material propeties transfer isn't officially supported in V12.
Normally when transfering the material properties these properties will be available is CAD-Material liberary at the engineering data.
Is it available here?

Regards

Ansysfreak,

No. If, for instance, i choose the Aluminim 6061 alloy, which is not in the engineering data, ansys will select the default material. Maybe there's a workaround to fix this, but so far i'm not able to make this work.

Do you think i can convert solidworks material to ansys?

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back