Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS plots elements with the same attributes with different colour 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dew28

Structural
Apr 1, 2012
AU
This might be a very naive question. However, this has left me quite puzzled. I am using ANSYS 14.5 and prepared a geometry using the GUI. The model was a dog bone shaped planar object with notches. To provide a good regular mesh, I subdivided the object into several areas before meshing. I assigned the same attributes to all the areas (Element type, real constants, material model). However, upon meshing, the GUI shows different colours for the elements in two different areas. I checked everything but seems all everything is fine, but still it shows two colours. It left me wondering if it has got something to do with my plot settings, but still it seems ok. Can anyone help me with my query?

dew28

Dew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The default view in the GUI for shells show the normal directions. If this bugs you then you can make all of the normals consistent using the ENORM command.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

First, list your areas and confirm that they have the same attributes. Then, turm on element coordinate system symbols (Plot Controls, Symbols, ESYS element coordinate sys) or area coordinate system symbols (ADIR ares direction) and see if the normals are consistant. If not, adjust as described above. You could also use the ANORM or AREVERSE commands to adjust the area normals.

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

[smile]Dear Drej and rickfischer51,

Thank you so much for your advice.I am indeed using Shell elements and you were right. the shells were not consistently aligned/facing. Thanks heaps.

Dew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back