Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ansys solid modelling, symmetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

george27

Aerospace
May 17, 2009
DE
I have only just begun teaching myself Ansys, and am somewhat stuck on my first solid/3D model:
How would I go about creating a model of a cube containing a spherical cavity on the inside? Is there a way of subtracting one volume from another? Also, if I want to take advantage of symmetry and only analyze a part of the model, do I have to create the whole model first and then somehow eliminate what I don't need or is there a simpler way?
I realize the question is elementary but would very much appreciate your help! Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may find Ansys Workbench more intuitive for creating/editing geometry. However, you should be able to create a cube with a sphere subtracted from the center in Classic/APDL with no trouble.

If you have access to the Ansys customer portal, you should be able to download their training on designmodeler; which may be helpful.

Also, the tutorials in the Ansys help file for Classic/APDL are worth going through. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back