Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS Worbench - ARCLEN and pressure load

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtremi

Structural
Jul 27, 2018
NO
In Ansys Workbench (19.0), in Mechanical, I have a Static Structural analysis. I've added a pressure load on a geometric surface, where I under Magnitude selected Constant and set a value. By doing this a frame in the UI shows "Tabular Data" with two points [tt]0,0[/tt] and [tt]1,<my value>[/tt]. This makes sense for a ramped load.

I added a ADPL Command on my analysis (Static Structural) with [tt]ARCLEN, on[/tt].

If I run my analysis, I get the error:
[tt] *** ERROR *** CP = 0.344 TIME= 10:15:11
There are tabular loads in the model. The Arc-length method does not
support tabular loads. Please replace tabular loads by other load
types and then run the analysis again.[/tt]

How can I use arc length control with a pressure load, if it forces me to have tabular data? What am I missing?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It says that you can not use a tabular force (so the tabular load can not be used).

Typically when one runs arc-length say for buckling instability, one would apply a load higher than the instability-load all at once (not gradually), then the solver will do the required cut backs to solve. That is at least for the software which I use (Strand7).

I understand, but Ansys Workbench doesn't allow me to create a non-tabular pressure load. Even if I select "Constant" it will set it to "ramped" and create a table with two values...

Well if anyone else has this problem, I think I found the solution;
After setting the pressure load, instead of choosing [tt]Constant[/tt], choose [tt]Tabular[/tt], but under [tt]Tabular Data>Independent Variable[/tt] select [tt]Step[/tt].
Now the tabular data table will only contain one cell where you can add the "Constant" value for the step.

That is funny. Not much on the internet about this, but some people report similar issue.

I would then try to use a command snippet to apply the pressure force as a constant value (use named selections of the face and apply pressure). I am not sure if it will like this since it will not see any loads in the GUI.

Otherwise if you do not expect any snap-through kind of problem, and just "collapse" followed by stiffening/softening, then neglecting arc-lengths should be OK (just use the normal solver with large deflection on and sub-steps on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back