Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS Workbench 15 Error (An internal solution magnitude limit was exceeded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardparker

Petroleum
Jul 24, 2015
GB
Hello everyone!
I am working on a project about modeling a cable with a number of pitched/sweeped little cables inside (so, they are all combined into one cable).
I need to do an axial stress analysis and also a bending moment one. I designed the geometry, applied the force on one side of the cable and fixed another one, in order to do axial test and see how these little tubes interacts with each other.
As far as I understand, I need to use frictional type of contacts, don't I? However, every time after 10-20 mins of simulation, an error appears saying:

An internal solution magnitude limit was exceeded.
Please check your Environment for inappropriate load values or insufficient supports. Also check that your mesh has more than 1 element in at least 2 directions if solid brick elements are present.

I've tried many things such changing the meshing size, type of the material, force direction and and force value (reduced it up to 100N from 10kN initially) as well as friction coefficient, but error is still here :( However, the model works if I change the contact type to bonded, but it's not what I need.
What else might be a problem?

I've attached 3 print screens: one showing the force, another how I applied fixed support, and the last one with meshing
Thank you in advance!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=79858c52-32cf-4e85-9864-949d00a234fd&file=forum_all_3.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have experienced similar issue before. One issue could be one or more of the cable is interfering with other cable. Run part detection to see if there is any interference. Another way to is to turn on Newton-Raphson Residuals (NRR) and identify the location. There could be more than one locations. Then look into the CAD model at the NRR location for interference or poor surface. Hopefully this will help.

After the run is finished, look at the solution information output, you will probably find some usefull information on your problem.
You can also take a look at the following paper, it is very usefull for learning the basics of contact modelling, and "debugging":

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back