Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti poly styrene sulfonic acid additive for coatings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatomirus

Materials
Jan 9, 2004
DE
Dear Sir ,

We are searching for a additive for PVA (Poly Vinyl Alcohol) water born film which will make this film stabile in presence of poly styrene sulfonic acid.

Thank you in advance.

Zlatomir

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To my knowledge, PVA is not resistant to any acid or other strongly polar compounds, only to organics. The H[sup]+[/sup] from an acid will dehydroxylate the PVA (tear off the alcohol’s OH group to form water). See the chemical resistance table at
In searching the Internet, I found that PVA and coplymers, e.g., poly (ethylene + vinyl alcohol) is sometimes layered between polyethylene. The PE+VA copolymer is a gaseous diffusion barrier, while the PE outer layers are moisture and chemically resistant.

It is possible that the makers of PVA sponges may have a modified PVA formula:

PVA can be insolubilized. The water-resistance of PVA films can be improved, but I don't have any information about improving acid resistance.

An internet search of "crosslink PVA" should provide other leads. Manufacturers of PVA emulsions may have some suggestions.

DuPont manufactures one type of product to crosslink PVA.
Other suppliers: Kenrich or Johnson-Matthey catalysts businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back