Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti-sway bar spring constant

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSBM5

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2004
US
I'm in a back-and-forth with a guy on a car board about the stiffness of an anti-sway bar. From what I recall (and from what I've found in my old texts), a solid bar in torsion has a spring constant that varies with the 4th power of the bar diameter. The spring constant is given for a soild bar in torsion in my old (8th edition) Mark's Handbook as: k=G*Ip/L where Ip is the polar moment of inertia which is defined as pi*d^4/32 where d = diamter of the solid bar.

Hence my assumption that the stiffness of a sway bar was proportional to the 4th power of the diameter. Is this correct? Here's the link to the thread in question: (post #32 and lower).

Thanks,
Chuck

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The units for moments of inertia are [length]^4, so appropriate functions of Do^4, (Do^4 - Di^4), and, as an approximation for a thin-wall tube, Dmean^3*twall, are dimensionally correct.

[length]^3 terms such as Do^3 or (Do^4 - Di^4)/Do are involved in section modulus quantities, which are related to component stress under load, not stiffness.

Norm

Thanks Norm. It's been 25+ years since I studied this in undergrad school, and I specilized in heat transfer and fluids in grad school, but I've been out of the engineering world now for more than 15 years. :(

Your response has pointed me down the right path to reviewing/understanding this subject once again.

Cheers,
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back