Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anxious about my Entry Level job I just got hired for 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space213

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2017
US
HI guys, Its been a struggle since I graduated in May'16 to get an Entry Level ME job. Just last week I finally got hired by a startup company with a nice decent starting pay. They initially just want me to do solid works modeling for them and then later jump into more engineering type roles as they mentioned. Without any technical questions they ended up really liking me since my reference called me and mentioned the same.

I was honest and upfront and said I am familiar with solid works just not at a senior level and the CEO mentioned thats fine we will train you. So I guess I'm nervous I want to prove to them that they made a great choice in hiring me and will work my butt off no question. The thing is the overall goal is they want me to design a more sophisticated aeration system from the one they already have so its not easily reproducible by others. I am worried because how can an entry level engineer be expected to innovate? there is just so much you would have to know. They mentioned they will train me so it should be fine. My biggest thing now is I got the job but can I keep it? even if i work my ass off day and night. Please any advice would be much appreciated if you were in my shoes how would you go about this? Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Greg,

Not every day will be a high point so I just embrace the struggle. But that's where I am now currently.

Any suggestions on what I should do or be aware of to keep improving and satisfying my superiors?

Personally, feeling like you are about to get fired at this stage in your career is probably a good thing.

It means they are challenging you and giving you real responsibility / projects that actually matter (otherwise they wouldn't care how you performed), and you are rising to the challenge.

Sure, you wont get it right everytime. But they have to expect and accept that. Just don't get it wrong a second time.

Trial by fire doesn't feel good at the time, but I think it is worth it in the long run.

Remember, if they did fire you they would just have to start again with someone fresh and go through the past 4 weeks all over again. It's in their interest to keep it going. Better the devil you know.

Space213 said:
chewing me out saying my ideas suck

Man I heard that a lot in the beginning of my career. You must be buddhist about that. Don't consider your idea as part of your identity. Don't get depressed. Just improve the thing.

Don't worry about quick witty talent or having to build robots in your spare time. That's not part of the job description. When people say you're a good fit and keep a great attitude, then consider that true and don't worry about what you think you might be reading between the lines.

I started a new job a while back with 10 years solid experience under my belt. First task was to design a jig for a large fabrication. The general manager (not even engineering manager - alarm bell 1) had a 'great' idea of how to create a jig, different from the way the company had done it for years - alarm bell 2! I was given the task of designing it with him looking over my shoulder - alarm bell 3. In fairness it wasn't the worst concept and done right was an improvement. The problem was it was very expensive to do right (x5 more than normal) and they stopped making the fabrication shortly after it was completed (was subcontract work).

I should have ran at the start but I did what I was asked, and did a good job, I just should never have been asked to do it. Anyway the general manager put the blame on me, gave me a hard time over it and any time I spoke up on unrelated topics at meetings, he would bring this up and cut me down in front of everyone.

Point of this story - some managers are assholes! and at the very least, every manager has bad days, days when so much s**t hits the fan that you don't have enough energy left to be patient or supportive. If you are sure a about wanting to get into management then working under a bad manager is the best thing to prepare you.

Space213, never take anything personally, dust yourself off and move on, if you screw up - show that you learned the lesson for the next time.

I have come across some pretty awful graduates but have never known a graduate engineer to be fired. you are already too much of an investment to throw away.

By the way the General Manager in my story was fired 5 months later, I worked on in that company for another 3 years after promotion to engineering manager

I concur with much of what's been said above. If you're uncomfortable then you're in the right position. Every new role should bring about a fairly steep learning curve requiring several years to really master, otherwise you're stagnating in a role that probably doesn't need an engineer. Take any/all available training relevant to the role, keep an eye on others' bookshelves for interesting related reading, and always ask why things work the way they do. Don't be afraid to ask "dumb" questions or "think" out-loud to colleagues to check logic. Many times when given a challenge I review basic part or system function out-loud to a colleague to help prioritize various details, and often it leads to new ideas and improvements. Regarding work/life balance, set some basic goals to be THE guy on XYZ but also set some basic ground rules. Personally I'll work 50+/week to fit in extra training and self-improvement but unless the boss asks for weekends that's my home-boss' (wife's) time for me and the weekly schedule is adjusted accordingly.

D Scullion,

I appreciate you sharing your past that sounds even more harsh than what im going through. We have great culture here and I honestly am very lucky to work with the people I do, its just I wish things were explained a bit more from a basic standpoint then id really have direction as opposed to trying to figure it out myself and stressing. but either way things wont be done my way and the engineers have much to worry about on their plate. My manager is awesome in the sense he doesen't hold a grudge. just lets out what he says at the moment and moves on.

I had a side question I started my MBA and my boss was going to the CEO and telling him all about it. I am not sure what they are thinking of me getting my MBA as well as working for them. It sounds like they are impressed but at the same time not sure? Could you suggest what their thoughts may be?

Space213 I think it is telling that this conversation thread which flowed well for over a month came to a grinding halt on the mention of MBA.

I have feeling you may not fully appreciate what I am about to say but here goes: On a management focused career pathway, you can either get into 'management' (the theory) or you can become a manager (skill set), rarely both (In my experience). In your scenario, an MBA is the route to get into 'management', hard earned experience in a small business is the route to becoming a manager.

If I was your boss in that small company I would see your interest in an MBA as a sign that this company is just a stepping stone for you and I would lose interest in you. Small businesses want to grow reliable long term employees. From what you have said so far, I suspect this is the case.

It is important to have career goals and work towards them but it is also important to be flexible, take each day as it comes and weigh up each opportunity on its own merits. My career today is not even close to what my career goals were when I started out and I am very happy about that.

My company so has been praising and respecting the fact that I am going for my MBA and is constantly asking me to share ideas that I learn in class to them. I have ran my family owned business as well.

When I got hired they even said We can give you experience here for a few yeas then you can go off onto your own endeavors. We all support each others side ventures here. Its really a great place to work. I just think more like a CEO than I do technically. I still enjoy what I do, I like to coordinate and work with vendors more.

Doesn't anybody want to spend time in the trenches and actually do the hard work, put in the time to really learn the ropes and develop expertise. Everybody wants to be in management.
A little over a month ago we were encouraging the under confident OP to take the chance on his first real job as an ME and talking about issues on CAD.
Now the OP is working on getting into management ' thinking like a CEO, and is willing to give the company advice because he is doing an MBA.
Its all well an good to have career plans but you have to be realistic here. You really need to learn the business you are currently in. MBAs are all well and good but it will all make a lot more sense if you have some serious experience under your belt.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

“At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since.”
― Salvador Dali

I don't see how anyone would prefer sorting out conflicting vacation requests and other "management activities" over using their engineering brains on something nice and technical, but that's just me :)

I'm no longer counting all the engineers I saw being promoted to management level, and after a few months turn into micromanagers because their team members' jobs are much more interesting and rewarding than their own. Which leaves the vacation request procedure totally out of control.

It is no accident that Management is called the " Dark Side.". As someone who has done both , you have to choose , Do you want to problem solve and make nice things, or do you want to be a referee ?
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back