Any AGA Report No. 8 users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewfreeman

Mechanical
May 16, 2005
GB
Hello,

My company are thinking of purchasing AGA Report No. 8 with the hope that it contains equations to find the density of any gas.
Part of our business is the design of flowmeters (that are mainly used on steam). I know the AGA report is concerned with natural gas, but I would like to know if the theory could be applied to any gas.
At the moment we use the Real Gas Constant equation, but we want to be much more accurate (accuracy within 1%), so a very accurate method to calculate the gas compressibilty is desired.
I would appreciate any advice from members who use this publication, and whether it holds the equations I need, as (suprise-suprise) our Research Budget is paltry and we can't afford to waste a few hundred $$'s.

Many thanks in advance

Andrew Freeman
Research Engineer
Spirax Sarco UK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Andrew,

Its not clear to me why you are using the gas constant and compressibility for selecting steam flow meters.

Is there any reason why you cannot us the form of the equation that uses density which can then be obtained from steam tables.

Regards,

athomas236

athomas236, thanks for your reply.

The flowmeters are calibrated on water, the data then has to be corrected for steam. As the flowmeters in question are variable area, compressibilty is an important issue.

I've got a second edition (1992) of AGA 8 and have never felt the need to get later versions. Most of the document is a printout of a Fortran program along with a bunch of tables. I used it extensively when I was working on my masters theses and I found a bunch of errors. I assume that the later versions fixed them.

If you're making flow meters for natural gas measurement you have to be very familiar with AGA 8 - there really is no alternative. If you're limiting your work to steam and water, purchasing AGA 8 would be a waste of money.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back