Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any book about Catia 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Someone knows a good book (help based) about Catia, something like the help, where every bitton or function it is explained in detail, but much better then this crap that DS call help.

With kind regards,
Cosirius.

Well, I am not from US and transportation is a bit far and kinda expensive, hmmm online documentation???? Maybe I am not using the right help. Can you guide me?

With kind regards,
Cosirius.

the online documentation is what you said DS call help. This is not a training document.

When you need help on a function, just select the icon and press F1, the onlince doc (help) will then open to what you have selected.

If you do not select any function, catia gives you help on selecting element...

what do you need ?

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Yes, that one, well in my opinion its a crap. Did u ever seen a solid works help? for example, you type a function, draft, the help show you everything that function does, describes in details every button, ....
Now that's a help, and coming back to my question, i need a book like that, in small terms a help book.

With kind regards,
Cosirius.

If you have the documentation installed and do as itsmyjob suggest, then you can pick the draft feature and hit F1 do get all information about the draft and linked parts to try what is described.

But it is not training material, it's help documentation

With all the respect this help sucks. I tried your way with a pad function and i cant see the pad definition options
(properties) described. That is what i need, not some bullshit crap how to select faces.
I want something more easy and fast, but thank you for your help.

With kind regards,
Cosirius.

Hi,

CATIA is a very complex software, you have a lot of workbenches to work with them.

Its very well known that SW is a very friendly software, but cannot compete with CATIA in complexity.

You have first to define which workbenches are you interested in and then try to find tutorials made by users...

I see that you are in automotive field, so probably you are using a lot GSD..there are here few threads where Kapitan give few very nice explanations (at least to me) about surfaces..check also and you can find more others also on Internet for different workbenches, including few demo chapters from different books.

If you want to learn faster, then a specific certified training is also welcome (I know, it cost..).

Regards
Fernando

Cisirius,

It looks like frustration. I am sorry you feel that way. I wish I could help.

In order to make a pad, you need a profile, usually defined by a sketch. When the profile is defined, just select it and the Pad function et Voila !

Can you tell us if you had any training ?

I tried Autocad in my early days, and compared to catia V3 I really felt frustrated as I cannot create 3D stuff and rotate the view point. I had bad memories also about Pro-E.

I must admit I never had any training with Pro-E or Autocad. I had training in CATIA V3 and V4 and I can say this really help me. Thanks to those how help get training me when I started ;)

Eric N.

Yes, I am frustrated cause i learned Autocad @ University and my first job was in Pro-E (lasted 1 week), after that i worked 8 months with SW and i felt in love.
After that i switched ti catia and now i am serioselly considering to switch back to SW, catia has lots of bugs and the lack of fine details makes me very angry.
My trainings are 0, usually i take a pirate version of a program and i try to learn alone.
I was hoping to find some tutorils or a different help, something like SW help.
But txs alot, I did found usfull informations on this thread.

With kind regards,
Cosirius.

Ohh and i dont work with surfaces, i work in automotive business but i design the assembly lines for car production.
So i work with base module.

With kind regards,
Cosirius.

Check thread560-204218

There you will find suggestion for catia basic books and also some links to web based basic material

i learn v5(legit, not cracked) alone with the online doc. it took me a really long time to find answers... and i was not using forums! it was not the way to learn.

You want to learn by yourself, fine. But do not expect to learn as fast as with a training.

You said that you are usually learning with a pirate version and you do not want to spend some money to get a book from Amazon. I know, everything is money driven, sometime I feel sad.

You should explain your boss that he will save time (money) if he provide you with training. Unless you told your boss you were efficient on v5, he should agree and pay for the training.

Eric N.

What itsmyjob says goes double or triple for some workbenches. Trying to autolearn with kwa is a perfect example all by itself. You can only go so far with the help found in forums and via the documentation, you really have to invest on a good training.
On the plus side, training not only helps you discover how to work with CATIA, it also lets you learn techniques that will make your work more efficient.

luis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back