Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any books on automotive wheel design? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devanshj

Mechanical
May 21, 2008
IN
Does anyone know of any books or resources on automotive wheel designing and production?

I want to design a few a 3 piece and one piece wheels on solidworks, I was looking at forged 6061 T6 aluminum.

What are some good books and resources that I should/could use so this will materialize into a safe usable design?

I will be ordering the handbook from Tire and Rim Association.

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Essentially, only two types of aluminium are used for making automobile wheels: forged 6061-T6 and low pressure die cast 356-T6.

The ductility of forged 6061-T6 wheels exceeds the ductility of cast 356-T6 wheels: 10 % elongation vs. 7 %.

I know of no book on this subject. Other good resources are SAE Technical Papers and SAE Standards. These are all available as downloads (you have to pay for them) at the SAE International Internet site:

2004-01-1578 Development of the SAE Biaxial Wheel Test Load File

2001-01-0749 The Design and Processing of Cast Aluminum Wheels for Impact Performance

SAE J2530 Aftermarket Wheels - Passenger Cars and Light Truck -Performance Requirements and Test Procedures

SAE J328 Wheels--Passenger Car and Light Truck Performance Requirements and Test Procedures

SAE J175 Wheels-Impact Test Procedures-Road Vehicles

SAE J1095 Spoke Wheels and Hub Fatigue Test Procedures

SAE J2562 Biaxial Wheel Fatigue Test

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back