Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any FEA books recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith2

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2006
US
I have read many threads to discuss this topic already. These recommendations are based on the topics, such as contact mechanics, non-linear or etc.

But, I can't find any book to discuss some topics, 1) how to apply the situable boundary conditions, loadings in order to simulate the real case scenario. 2) Common mistakes in FEA analysis with real examples. 3) How to choose the situable elements, e.g. when to choose shell, instead of plate or 3-D element. Most of the FEA books are theoretical parts, full of formulations, and contain some analysis without good examples.

Please help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It was published some time ago and used Algor as its FEA software, but Spyrakos put out a couple of very practical books that game some "rule of thumb" information...Search for Finite Element Modeling in Engineering Practice by Dr. Constantine Spyrakos.

He had a follow-up book on non-linear analysis. The software references are outdated, but the information is still useful.

Garland E. Borowski, PE
Borowski Engineering & Analytical Services, Inc.
Lower Alabama SolidWorks Users Group

"Building better products with Finite Element Analysis" by Vince Adams & Askenazi.
ISBN 1-56690-160X
OnWord Press

I think you would find it very useful and of practical value.

Gert

The boundary conditions and the suitability of the elements come from the underlying theory of solid/fluid/continuum mechanics which the FEM is based on.

Whenever you should decide what element to use, you should check the assumptions considered by the underlying theory.

I also nominate Adams and Askenazi - possibly my most valued "practical" finite element reference.

(But don't forget to learn the basic theory first!)

thanks...guy..But I found the following comments from amazon,

"If you are an engineer, skip it and do real work. It is general, basic, and lacks real knowledge. This is not a reference book, nor is it a teaching book. However, if you are an engineering manager overseeing a group conducing FEA analysis, this book will help you. It is full of wonderful insight, such as: "FEA can help build a better, more robust product". These blinding flashes of the obvious will keep most real engineers at arm's length. If I had a chance to do it again, I would not purchase this book."

Hmmm ...

It seems reader's opinions are (somewhat) divided, but I suggest you read all of the reader reviews, not just the top one. There are 16 reader reviews on Amazon, with an average rating of 4 1/2 stars. 13 readers give it 5*, and one each give it 1*, 2* or 3*.

(While I have not put a review on Amazon, I concur with the 5* rating, as far as being a practical, day-to-day reference is concerned. For deep theory, etc, you may well do better to look elsewhere - but the title gives an indication of its intended target audience.)

Why not borrow a copy from the library, and decide for yourself?

Johnsmith,

As a materials engineer who uses FEA for anything from fluid flow, thermal, stress analysis in modeling casting processes I can that it's best to learn from the theoretical books to develop a practical understanding of FEA. Don't fall into the trap of using FEA programs as a crutch like so many mechannical engineers are doing today. For example, if you understand how shell/plate elements behave you would know when to use them.

Matlsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back