Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any feedback on NX6 sofar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossob

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2007
AU
Hi guys,

We have just received our new NX6 box yesterday, but was wondering before we upgraded if there is any feedback, positive or negative, from people that have upgraded. I guess, in short, is it stable?

Ross

NX5.0.4.1 WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I mainly use NX Modeling and Drafting, with very little, if any Assembly usage and I haven't found anything that's a complete show stopper of an issue. However, I have NOT gone through a complete design process yet, either so take that for what it's worth.

There is a new interface option to switch to a Full Screen Mode that's nice, but if you use that, then the Cue/Status line will ALWAYS revert back to the top of the screen upon restart. GTAC is aware of this issue. That is about the most annoying thing I've ran into so far.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Still waiting for my license 2 weeks after requesting it throught my VAR. Admittedly, we are also transferring products to a new server but Siemens really are behind the game with this process. We also run Pro/E and I can request a new license online and even transfer licenses to a new server and have the new license file within 1/2 hour. Assuming I actually get my NX6 license before NX7 is launched, I'll try and post some opinions.

Maybe the VAR is slowing things up. I dealt directly with Siemens and had my license 4 days after NX 6 was released.

Read John Baker's first post in this thread regarding VAR's and customer satisfaction:

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

I won't have any experience with it. GM is finally switching to NX5.0 this October.

Bummer though, I do like the looks and feel of NX6. I love the full screen mode.

Justin Ackley
Designer

I have been using NX6 for about a week now. So far, so good. It has been very stable and I haven't had to call GTAC with any problems yet.

Unfortunately I haven't really had a chance to try out any new features since I am extremely busy and I am working on models that were all created in NX5 right now. Hopefully in the next month or two I can free up some time to really start poking around.

Justin,

That's been pushed back until after Feb. 2009. See below, straight from GM Supplypower:

[start clip]
July 29,2008 Author : GEES Service Desk

On behalf of the Global Extended Enterprise Services (GEES) team.

To: JVâ??s and Supplier Partners

Re: GM BP2008-01 Block-Point Deployment rescheduled

After much consideration it was agreed by Product Engineering, Powertrain, Manufacturing Engineering and Design Center leadership that due to cash conservation efforts affecting our cross-functional workforce and engineering design operations in the balance of 2008, there was too much risk in continuing with the current blockpoint scheduled for deployment during the month of October. Therefore, to allow the required execution focus in the short term, the blockpoint will be rescheduled to after February 2009.

More information will be posted on the GMSupplyPower website ( as it becomes available.

This information can also be found at the link below:

Please direct all questions regarding this message to the GEES Global Service Desk at 1-888-238-1119, or send an email to geescallcenter@eds.com.

GEES Service Desk Team
[end clip]

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back