Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any good books to study pressure vessel support design ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miftahazhar

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2018
ID
Hello.. I am fresh graduate of mechanical engineering and has high interest in Pressure Vessel design (to prepare if I work in EPC company). I still hard to understand designing Pressure Vessel support. I've read 2 books, Megysey's Pressure Vessel Design Handbook and Dennis Moss's Pressure Vessel Design Manual. I am not satisfied with those books. Megysey is simple but it didn't provide formula to calculate for example saddle part thickness (just stress in saddle, and dimension of common saddle, but someone said it is outdated). Dennis Moss one has calculation of support part (not just its stress), but this book is hard to understand, sometimes there are parameter that this book doesn't say about what is it.

Any recommendation about good books to study Pressure Vessel support design including Leg, Lug, Saddle, Skirt ? It will better if there is example of calculation.. Thanks everyone ! :D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also see:
Pressure Vessel Design Handbook, by Henry BEDNAR
Process Equipment Design, by Brownell YOUNG.

Try with a minimum effort to understand.

Regards

Not a book but a design code; EN 13445 probably has formulae for all sorts of supports, skirts etc. Of course it only lists the requirements and doesn’t tell you the background. If you’d be interested in a background paper on how EN 13445 has been set up approximately 20 years ago, go for
There are plenty more files and presentations available on the background of EN 13445 through google.

Also get the eight sections of the ASME/NB codes that deal with the construction of fired and Unfired Pressure Vessels. Total cost of these codes will be somewhere at $2000.00 or perhaps more. You will need these codes if you decide to design pressure vessels and have them legally stamped ASME/NB.

Reading books and codes does not prepare one for designing pressure vessels.
Ask your boss to send you on an in-depth training course.
You will require a good software package; I don't practice design but others on this forum are well qualified to describe the relative merits.
This is a situation where an experienced mentor can really help get you up to speed.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

"Reading books and codes does not prepare one for designing pressure vessels" But it is a starting point in order to be aware of the details for which you will be designing; also the codes will allow you to stamp the vessels under fabrication. Note that your boss will not hold your hand during your training so to be fully competent books and codes will be a necessity afterall codes do change and your boss may be slightly outdated in his knowledge.
"Ask your boss to send you on an in-depth training course. " The NB has a multitude of training program

Design calculations are not all that is necessary.
Try to get a job at a manufacturing company and you can see the machines, welding, assembly, inspection, etc., etc.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back