Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

any good reference and/or free software for timber pole embedded in soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

delagina

Structural
Sep 18, 2010
US
I googled this and see some reference online.
I'm looking for a timber pole design embedded in ground and around 10' above ground to resist vertical and horizontal loads.
A free software would be helpful as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So this nomograph is for concrete piers but I think the analysis/design is the same - soil doesn't know whether it's concrete or wood pushing against it.
Pole_Embedment_Nomograph_bwq0xz.jpg

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Alex excel has concrete foundation and not embedded.

@jae, that is due to horizontal only but I have vertical and horizontal acting the same time.
I noticed in Alex excel, he uses the pile end bearing for vertical and soil "passive" pressure for horizontal

I can't find a reference where both vertical and horizontal acting the same time designing both the embedment and the timber pole itself.

I think in the nomograph it is assumed that any vertical weight/load (which there always is) would be by end bearing and independent of the nomograph lateral pressure calculations.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

For the embedment of the pole unless the axial load is eccentric it is going to have very little impact on the base moment. Therefore you can use any of the resources noted above to compute the embedment depth. I tend to use the equations outlined in IBC, eq 18-1 in 2009, just be mindful of the 12 ft limitation for the embedment depth for lateral pressure consideration. Then if there are no geotechnical concerns, localized punching failure of the soil etc., with the small end bearing of the timber pole use the cross sectional area of the base for the axial bearing.

The pole itself should likely then be designed as a fixed base beam-column per the NDS or whichever code governs in your area.

My case is different. Pile/pole uses skin friction per geotech instead of end bearing. It's actually the vertical force that dictated the length of embedment using the skin friction. The horizontal force due to wind is the "extra" load.

Any reference for timber pile embedment using skin friction for vertical load and that nomograph or something like that for horizontal load but acting the same time?

Or can I design the embedment using skin friction for vertical loads and the nomograph for horizontal loads and just choose the longer embedment?

It is generally thought that vertical and lateral leads can be treated independently. Page one of this document corroborates that line if thinking: Link. So what is this thing anyhow? Pole mounted helicopter landing pad?

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

It's supporting a platform with equipments. I've already designed the embedment based on vertical loads so I guess I'm good because horizontal is assumed independent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back