Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any low carbone steel dealer in USA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

avocadozo

Aerospace
Jun 29, 2005
US
I want to use AISI 1010 for electromagnetic purpose. However, I couldn't find any dealer and shop selling the AISI 1010 rod-type steel in USA.

If anyone knows dealers, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello avocadozo,

My apologies for overlooking your original request for details on annealing.

I would recommend calling for a dry hydrogen anneal (as mentioned by EdStainless) at 1600 degF for a minimum of one hour at temperature.

One thing to keep in mind, the annealing can distort the part somewhat, enough to ruin any tight tolerances. I'd suggest having the annealing done before machining any tight tolerance features onto the part.

Good luck!

So the annealing can distort the part, but can the machining afterward heat the part and partially destroy the effects of the annealing?

-Todd

The machining afterwards will only degrade (not destroy) the magnetism in the regions where the machining was done. The bulk material will remain in the annealed condition. Hopefully the only machining necessary after annealing will be tapping a few holes or other minor features.

Hello Avocadozo,

I read your post. This is the first time that I have used eng-tips. My company has been in business for 20+ years selling Low carbon (c1002) strip & Rod for electromagnetic applications. I am sure I can help you! We stock a variety of sizes .250 - 6.0" dia.

Lloyd- lloyd@cmispecialty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back