Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Luck from purchased post processor? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

uguser3

Aerospace
Oct 28, 2009
US
We have purchased our first post from Siemens\UG for a 5 axis DMG. Over a year latter and it's usable only with some serious editing.At the same time we purchased a post for the same machine for Mastercam and it works flawlessly.Has anyone ever used a third party to write a post such as ICAM ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experiences with purchased posts are pretty grim...

The ONLY way I have had success is by doing it 100% myself.
You know the old saying... You want something done right, do it yourself!

forget ICAM... NX has Postbuilder, you should be able to knock off a 5 axis post in no time using that!

J

Thanks Jaydenn for the input .I've had fairly good luck using the post builder for other machines and controls but not so much luck on this Heidenhain Control.This is the first one we ever purchased from Ug .We've had a few different people at Ug work on it and so far its been just an embarressment to us all.

We have a postprocessor from JANUS Engineering. It was wrote in 2000 and it has never been changed since. Its for a Hermle CNC 5 axis. I would suggest you get in touch with that company and get one from them.

I would assume that Siemens will stand behind their post, keep after them to fix it. They do have some very knowledgeable people, usually in the field doing application support when it comes to their best post writers.

Is Hank Holt still around?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Hey Ben ,Siemens has attempted to correct it but so much time passes between them getting back to us with their latest attempts. We only have about 8 UG seats so we are small potatoes to them.We been using UG since 1988 but have always been treated like the red headed step child.

Hank Holt? Don't know him. we worked about 15 years ago with a guy named Mark Spitz.He was a sharp dude when it came to postprocessors.

"Don't use ICAM. They are horrible!!!"
Really? that is who the machine builder recomended,That's also why i was asking you guys.Thanks for the input John

Sounds like ICAM already has a post on the shelf that they developed with the machine tool builder.

John, Is Hank teaching the PB class? He and I were in a customiation class for UG/Post pre-Post Builder! We were modifying the posts with TCL code directly. Fun days,, sometime around V16, if I remember.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Yeah Hank is teaching the class. Talked to him on the phone, he seemed like a real nice guy.

uguser3- Yeah thats why we bought an ICAM post too. I spent months and endless emails back and forth. Finally they said since we didn't purchase maintence for the post they weren't going to help us any more. Never output usable code.

I agree with the comment by rg006 re. Janus Engineering for the supply of postprocessors. We've been using one for about six years on a DMu50EV and two DMu70eV 5-axis machining centres with the Heidenhain iTNC530 control successfully.

Thanks rg006 & xfv8, I'm going to check out Janus.
now i assume you guys have output a cls file then post that with your Janus post?

I received another version from seimens last night. Looks like at least this one wouldnt crash the machine tool. Still got to edit the heck out of it to keep from erroring out though

Uguser3,

As others said (I don't mean to bash Siemens here), find someone who has done that post - in the real world for other clients. Janus Engineering as suggested is pretty well known. They are in Europe though.

I know Hermle uses PostBuilder created posts for their in-house programming. It's just a matter of finding an experienced writer.

--
Bill

"What use is a CAM system without posts?" Exactly!!,its hard to sell virtual parts to our customers.Siemens has the resources they just need to cozie up to machine builders (atleast the major players)and get it right.I stood up for UG to write our post because i thought they would do it best job.I'm still holding out hope they'll make good...ofcourse i still believe in the easter bunny too

Quote;

they just need to cozie up to machine builders

------------------------------------------------

Siemens idea of working with machine tool builders is to SELL the a copy of UG - lol

Before this thread gets TOO off topic, let's steer it back.

You say you are trying to build a Heidenhain, 5 axis mill post?

I just built one of these from scratch, using post builder.
From start to finish I spent 2 days, and now I have a post that is safe and I am familiar with how it all works.

Are you programming in conversational? or in ISO?

Are you familiar with building a post starting from predefined controller? (look at the picture I uploaded)
Starting with the predifined controller gets you half way there, right away.

J

j,
Yes trying to get a reliable post built for dmg 5axis machine (knutating head) for Heidenhain IT
V530 mill plus control ISO code. Going from transformed planes(G7) to G141 mode is where they cant seem to get it right.If you are familar with the control (i am not) the G141 mode is where the raw cls data (x,y,z and toolaxis vectors) needs to output and the control uses that and the kinemetics of the machine tool to do all the calculations.

Thanks

"Yes trying to get a reliable post built for dmg 5axis machine (knutating head) for Heidenhain IT
V530 mill plus control ISO code. Going from transformed planes(G7) to G141 mode is where they cant seem to get it right.If you are familar with the control (i am not) the G141 mode is where the raw cls data (x,y,z and toolaxis vectors) needs to output and the control uses that and the kinemetics of the machine tool to do all the calculations."

I'm impressed that your Mastercam guy got that one right. That is definitely not your average post. Heidenhain is one thing, adding vector control complicates things. I did one for a Hermle with a 530 control but much simpler ISO mode. Pm me at: btriffet at earthlink dot net, for a top Siemens contact on cam posts. He's worked with me in the past. I think he could get-er-done.

--
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back