Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Any major issues with Version 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidEd

Industrial
Oct 26, 2005
US
from some of the summits/users meetings I've attended, it seems that msot people wait until the 2nd patch release to isntall new versions of solid edge.

We're upgrading from version 15. I've installed version 19 on an offline PC so that we can spend some time to check it before fully implementing it. Has anyone found any major issues with it?

So far one of the issues we've found is some files comming up as "read only" whne we open them, but they are not set as read only. Maybe a factor of them being created in version 15 or prior?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you copied the files/model to the local drive folder did you use Insight to copy the project? I don't have a reason to believe that not doing so would cause your problem but I have generally been told to use Insight to perform file manipulations.

Jef

I also encountered that issue, I got over it by removing the attribute for the folder (and everything in it) -Dont'know why but it gets set somehow..

Minor issue: Pos numbers generated by the draftlist show up,
the ones I put in manually only show the baloon, no text(even if it's linked to the draftlist)

Upgraded from V18 to V19 two weeks ago and were up and running within 45 minutes. I must add that I never skip a new release, I am just to curious.

It's been running quite good and the problems we are having are more network and server related. Regarding the copying of files, when you copy or move files within a directory always use Insight. When you copy the whole directory you can simply use copy and paste.

When installing any version of SE be sure too inactivate your anti-virus before installing. After installation upgrade your current templates by simply opening and saving them with the new version.

Solid Edge V19 SP1 on WinXP SP2

The only issue I had/have with v19 is the new holes.txt definitions. We use many custom size threads that are all UN classification because of the non-standard pitch (not a UNC or UNF). When creating the "family" column, I pretty much need to make the family exactly match the callout because in each family there can not be a duplicate nominal, internal, or external diameter. Well, when a UNC-2 and a UNC-3 both of the same nominal diameters, the family name has to be different.

Needless to say I'm a little upset with all the extra work I have to put forward into updating the holes.txt file and not get any of the "enhancements" that are supposed to be a result of the effort.

--Scott

I didn't use insight, not sure if that comes free or if it's paid option since we've never used it. I did a copy and paste of the entire directory (over the network) into a fresh/empty drive (local). The weird thing is that not all the drawings come up as read only, only some. When I look at the file properties they are not marked read only.

Insight isn't free as such, there are set up costs. I think maybe they meant Revision manager. This is part of Solid Edge and is the preffered way of link management and file moving.

Ken

all our work is opened and saved over the network, to one directory. There are only 2 1/2 people here who work on CAD (one is a part timer) so there are no issues with people working on the same files or need for much file management. Unless there are benefits to it that we don't know about.

Insight is a free data management solution that is the link between Solid Edge and Microsoft's Sharepoint (which you have to pay for). So although Insight is free, getting everything else you need to run it is not.

What onefjef was probably referring to was Insight Connect, which is the name of the application that is installed along with Solid Edge. Two "applications" come with Insight Connect. The first is Revision Manager, which used to be what Insight Connect was called prior to the development of Insight. RevMan is used to copy, move, rename, and perform you file operations on SE parts in order to maintain the links. The other app is the view and markup.

--Scott

There are a few things to look at when getting a read only message.

One is whether or not the file was open on the network when you did the copy. If it was, Windows creates the tildy~ file to show that the file is inwork by someone else and therefore read only to subsequent people who try to open it. If you copied the file while it was opened, this information sometimes get stuck.

Another is the status of the Solid Edge file. If the last user changed the status from Available to Inwork, released, or baselines, it will be read only. Copying the file using RevMan is the only supported method to removing the status and making the file available. Users have created macros and utilities to do this outside of SE.

A third is the Windows read-only attribute applied to the folder or file(s). Sometimes, this attribute gets triggered for no reason. You have to make sure each file and folder is not read only.

Since you are using Windows Explorer to move your files, is your link management file being used to ensure link integrity?

--Scott

update on my read only problem:

In Windows, as a regular user, I was not able to delete files or copy files to that drive because everything was in the root directory of the drive (some sort of NTFS property). I created a new Drawings directory in that drive and cut and pasted everything in there (dropped on level) and then Windows didn't care if I deleted, added or modified files (as a regular user). However SolidEdge still told me the files were read only. Only after I changed the account to Administrator did it give me full read/write access.

I hope this is not a new thing in version 19.

Actually, MS Sharepoint is free, but the documentations says it must run on SQL Server, which is not free. I have SQL Server and Sharepoint running, but can't get the stupid Insight to run. I need to get it running here at home before I try it out on our live server at work. Anyone know of a step by step setup for Insight? I don't know enough about SQL server to set it up.

Hello Flyboydave,

Search for the "sespimpgde" file in the program folder of Solid Edge. It might be of some help.

What version of Solid Edge are you running? Are you running SQL 2000 or SQL 2005?

Solid Edge V19 SP1 on WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back