Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any news from PLM World for SE V19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nothing.

The reason is that PLM World was not the roll-out of v19; it was just a preview venue because of timing. The official v19 roll-out is mid-June, I believe, and the full set of press releases will happen then.

I did hear that v19 is heavy in sheet metal enhancements, though. Sheet metal was the main focus, animation was the second, and new assembly constraints to aid in animation.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

It's a pleasure. New SE releases is somewhat of a yearly highlight for me. I think that SE is one of the most underrated MCAD on the market.

I started with V12, almost 4 years ago. Their is one feature that did not receive any attention until now and that is the Exploded View. I am glad to see that they have made some big changes to it.

I just transitioned to SE from SolidWorks. I actually was hired on before I even saw the UI for SE. Of course, getting started is a pretty quick process - so the initial change was easy and a little exciting.

To be honest, every day I find something about SE that just impressed the hell out of me. I agree that it is a very underated MCAD. I'm not sure why, but I can honestly tell you that people I run into get sick of me telling them how good it is.

The folks at UGS have done very well with this.

I think that it got mostly to do with marketing. While the big guys (Inventor & Solidworks) fight it out, people tend to forget about the smaller guys. A big misconception is that only big companies can create good products.

Smaller development teams can be more productive and responsive to customer needs. As I look back at the improvements made to SE (V12 to V19) I honestly believe that the small guys can also create good products, if not beter.

zissou..I wouldn't credit UGS too much...if anything...they've held SE back in lieu of pushing UG.

SE was and is a great 3d modeler that was neck and neck with Solidworks in the late 90's. Dassault bought Solidworks and let them run almost as a separate company while UGS bought Solidedge and seem to stifle the product's sales....though not it's capabilities.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back