Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Problems with Abaqus 64 bit version 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruton

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2011
GB
Hello all,

I am planning on switching to 64bit abaqus 6.10, and I am wondering if any users have had any issues with the switch over. I am upgrading to Win 7 64 bit and checked my system is compatible with the Microsoft Win 7 compatibility checker. Main reason for doing this is to allocated more RAM to analysis work.

Any feedback appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, would I face any issues opening and continuing abaqus 6.10 and 6.9 models I have developed using 32bit and then switching them to 64bit?

You may have issues restarting 6.9 analyses with the 6.10 solver. I don't think this is possible. Regarding 32/64 bit I've never tried switching between the two for restart anlayses so can't comment on that, opening existing results (e.g. odb files) shouldn't be a problem. I've never noticed any problems with 64bit and win7 (that weren't already there on other platforms of course).

Why win7 instead of linux? If it's a fem dedicated machine, linux give you a best MPI and use only 350KB ram instead of 1GB, and where developed before for 64bit architecture.
And it's free.

Fabi0

Thanks all, problem is, its not a FEM dedicated machine and I need to use it for everything else also. Plus I have never used Linux and would not have the time for the learning curve.

I seem to get an error when I try to run an analysis saying "System error in contact tracking: the memory is not allocated with the right size", but I have run many analysis with the same memory settings. Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.

I seem to only get this problem when I run my contact with "finite sliding", it seems to run ok with "small sliding". But results and stress profiles seem less accurate with small sliding. By reading the abaqus manauals I see that finite sliding can sometimes make it more difficult to get a converged solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back