Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any problems with kiosk transformers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahandle

Electrical
Aug 20, 2005
JP
I need to replace a 500kVA 3.3kV/415V transformer out on a wharf. The existing transformer is an oil-filled sitting outside on the wharf, without any oil bunding. Being in pristine tropical waters, a bund is required for the replacement.

To me it makes sense to use a fully-enclosed, self bunded oil-filled kiosk transformer. Dry-type transformers aren't really an option due to the outdoor installation in salt laden air with high heat and humidity.

Initially, the client wanted to use a normal oil filled transformer and fabricated steel bund as they would be able to use their existing transformers as spares. However I see there being many problems with the standard bund arrangement, i.e. bund filling with water during tropical storms, extra weight loading from the water, corrosion from the water and salt laden air, cable design having to avoid submersion in the bund, extra maintenance requirements etc.

I have never dealt with kiosk transformers before, so I was wondering are there any extra issues, such as more difficult maintenance, reduced rating due to reduced air flow etc?

Initial pricing shows a kiosk transformer could be bought for $55k, but another would be required as a spare. i.e $110k total. On the other hand, a bog standard transformer could be purchased for $30k, plus the cost of fabricating the bund. No spares would be required as they are already on site.

If anyone is able to provide their thoughts on the options, or to offer another option this would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Any information would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can get special dry type transformers suitable for such humid,salt laden conditions.ABB,probably others also, is making such units which are used in oil rigs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back