Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any softwares to open large Abaqus Inp file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayneeeee

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2019
GB
Hi There,

I'm having trouble opening an input file generated from Abaqus using both notepad and notepad++. The input file has a size of 2.5 GB and thus is too big for notepad or notepad++ to handle. Are there any other software that might be able to handle that? Or are there any other ways around this?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

UltraEdit could also do it, but it's not for free. Maybe Emacs could do it too.
I think I've also seen a script somewhere, that splits a large input file into multiple smaller files.

Notepad/Wordpad are among the least useful editors past the most simple and small input decks. I have tried editors as well like Notepad++, Geany, X/Emacs but nothing can beat VI/VIM/GVIM when it comes to performance in loading large files. Its usability sucks so I have a cheat sheet hung up in front of my eyes.

Thanks to some unknown individual, VIM/GVIM has a lot of useful features for Abaqus users. For instance, do :setf abaqus to do keyword highlighting and folding. I even have my VIM config file set up so it automatically recognizes the Abaqus file types when I open up Abaqus input decks. Scrolling quickly and deleting stuff in various ways is a breeze, diff operation is handy, vertical editing is convenient, and background/font coloring options are nice to have. There are many options to scale up your single or multiple input deck editing in either Linux or Windows environments. I do not know if there is a document map feature but I'd surprised if there isn't one. That said, I rarely use it because how I organize my keyword decks - I organize them by keeping the nodes/element keywords in a mesh.inp, global control keywords in a control.inp, and the rest of the keywords in the calling file main.inp. Such a structure helps with navigation in the main and control input decks.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back