Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Any structural engineers using dual monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSS

Structural
Sep 24, 1999
US
Posted here because I am looking for input mainly from structural engineers.

In considering upgrade of our computer systems (small structural design firm), we are looking into dual monitors. Any structural engineers out there using a dual configuration. If so, what are the advantages?

Thinking about having multiple drawings open, or maybe drawing on one screen and calculations on another. NOT looking for excuse for email to take even more control of my life by always being on one screen while working on another.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used two monitors for a few years while using Tekla and STAAD & CAD simultaneously and also using many spreadsheets. It worked nice because you could have modeling software and CAD open with a full clean screen without having boxes open right on top of your work.

It was quite useful ...except for when some smarta$$ switched the position of my two monitors and it took me 15 minutes to figure out why my mouse wouldn't move from one monitor to the other!

I use two
One wide screen for ACAD or Revit and the other for the design software. Be sure and have enough "power" to be able to run these types of programs at the same time.

FSS...I use two. Review drawings in PDF while analyzing in RISA 3D. Very useful for lots of things. Wouldn't go back...might even want a third one!

I would love to have two monitors but my company is to cheap to allocate the resources.

msquared

Sounds like you have a cat problem over there..... better take care of that soon.

Love the dual monitor setup. I can have a FEM or CAD model open on one screen and MathCAD, Excel, Word, or e-mail open on the other. Any extra expense is easily made up by increased productivity.

I had four at my previous job. Two for a CAD computer, two for a laptop used to run spreadsheets, etc.
At my current job I have one, but there is no design.
I highly recommend getting two monitors. As JoshPlum says, the expense will be paid back quickly.

I too have used dual monitors.

First tried using adjacent monitors as one big CAD screen, eventually found the 'bar' down the middle too annoying, so evolved to one monitor in landscape for the CAD program, and one monitor in portrait mode for text files and spreadsheets.

Then the company added some mandatory sales support bloatware that interfered with the CAD software to such an extent that I demanded and got a second computer just for running that and their email program.

At which point, I decided that the ideal setup is a single large monitor for CAD (23+" versions with 1080p resolution are getting cheap now), and a separate computer for everything else (small monitor and slow processor are perfectly satisfactory).

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I'd recommend getting a second monitor. I recently upgraded my workstation from a 17" monitor to a 24" widescreen. While it's a GIANT improvement, I still find myself constantly toggling between windows.

And as others have noted, the cost is minimal now. 24" Monitors can be had for around $200 and most newer workstations can handle dual monitors.

I use a laptop with an external monitor both HD resolution. I use the laptop screen as the main screen, and the external screen to look at anything that needs to be viewed at the same time, so typically:

Spreadsheet and VBA code
- E-mail and attached documents
- Spreadsheet and CAD or pdf drawing file.
- Spreadsheet and FEA model

Considering the low cost of monitors these days I'd say it was about the most cost effective productivity improvement you can get.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

I have two and I don't know what I'd do without both. I can have a calculation up on one screen and the code on the other or a reference drawing. I highly recommend the upgrade.

If you're upgrading and not too fussed about appearance just retain your old monitor and use that as the 2nd one.

I've used 2 for about a year now and would find it hard to go back to one.

Also two monitors and wouldn't change back to one. Like everyone else says, it's extremly useful.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Two monitors is key. AutoCAD on one, PDFs / Outlook / Misc programs on the other.

MJB

"We shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us." -WSC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back