Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any successful implementation of 5s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintor

Industrial
Dec 29, 2005
CA
It seems to me as a lot of efforts for not that much in the end. Which is not to say that getting more organized is not a good idea...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The benefits of 5S are considerably greater than just better organization. I work for a large automotive manufacturer that actively works with Toyota on implementation of 5S and other aspects of their manufacturing system. One of the best ideas that was implemented at our manufacturing facility was the creation of a "parking spot" for the fork truck. Previously there was no specific spot for the fork truck when it was not being used. Now there is. If it is not in the spot, it is being used, which significantly reduces time spent looking for the truck, asking Joe where he left the truck, etc. This has had a remarkable effect, yet it was a simple, easily implemented change. Even office workers can benefit from the 5S philosophy. Don't keep parts, piles of papers, etc. all over your desk/cube/ workstation. Keep the stapler, notepads, pens, highlighters, etc. in one location. Items you do not need every day do not need to be on your desk.

mrainey,

One thing to keep in mind is that I work in an engineering office, not a manufacturing plant, so my exposure to lean manufacturing and 5S is through dedicated training events, and not through regular production meetings, etc. Your point about common sense is well taken, and I agree with you and BillPSU. The point that I was trying to make is that dedicated 5S programs do not have to be difficult or costly, and just having regular meetings with all of the employees can allow for meaningful discussions about how a company does business. Too often big companies operate inefficiently, and their bureaucracy makes implementation of lean initiatives exceedingly difficult.

To implement any changes in any company requires management acceptance. How do you get production personnel to organize an area without production supervision agreeing to supply manpower.

In an office environment look for those processes which add cost but no customer benefit. A common example is office supplies being controlled under lock and key. How many dollars are you protecting and at what cost. Wasted time finding the keyholder and the key. Redundant processes are another area where I have seen waste. Copying PO's, packing lists, bill of ladings for just in case. Changing these and other wasteful practices requires people be willing to change including the bureaucracy and requires management buy-in.

BillPSU is absolutely right! Any kind of Lean inititation must have top management acceptance. But the system should also have overall acceptance. But remember 5 S is only a small cog in the giant leab wheel. We started lean implementation 5 years back and we are still learning...it took Toyota 50 years to perfect the system.
Check sheets, pegboards, storage techniques all this is essential in a pull envoirenment where there is no time to waste and no room for waste (muda).
Every operator knows time wastred will affect his CT and take him over the takt time of the process; if this occurs, the team leader will immidiately notice it and address the issue.
In a pull background, where is little safety stock, implentation if 5S is peremptory.

-vhs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back