Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any suggestions for newbie slc 100 programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecontrol

Industrial
Sep 17, 2002
US
Hi all I am looking for software to program an old slc 100. Yes it is a little outdated but cost is an issue and i have this slc 100 #1745-lp101.I am looking to programm it with a couple inputs 10 (ac) and a couple outputs 4 (ac). It is capable as the model diagrams shows. I have never programmed a plc but i have many years of experience with looking at programming and diagnosing problems. I have no problems with ladder logic. Well with all that said anyone with suggestions?
I was also considering the plc direct DL06 with operator interface.Is this a good start for a new programmer?
Thanks,Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi...
i am not sure if you can still get the stand-alone software of the SLC100/150 from Allen Bradley but i agree with you that this PLC is a good starter to write a program....

one suggestion is if you can get the allen-bradley PLC called "PICO" ...you don't need a software to write the program...there is a built in keypad and screen ...and you can have a good practice in PLC programming...ladder logics..it will take a while before you get used to it...but once you are familiar.. for sure your gonna have fun..

i think it is less than US$200....but a least you can survive without the software..

dydt

I have a copy of the software for the SLC100/150 PLC's. We still actually work on them from time to time. I could zip it up and email you a copy, it isn't very sophisticated but your welcome to it. My email is scottk@tauruspower.com

hi...
even with the software you will still need the slc100/150 keypad....or the plc to computer interface...

do you have those?

dydt

dydt is correct there is a special converter box that plugs into your serial port on the PC and then into the programming port on the SLC100. I have used the PICO PLC from Allen Bradley that joecontrol refers to and it is a very nice starter PLC for a beginner. You still need a cable from the PICO to the PC which AB can supply for a price, but the software is free on their website. It is also pretty cool because the LCD display is actually a programming terminal and can be used to program the unit much like your PC.

No I do not have the interface but i am sure i could prob find it on ebay or something here is my email justjoedip@yahoo.com

I will give it a go thanks,Joe

I have a suggestion that will both save you money and advance your cause in learning plcs. The DL05 from automationdirect can be had for around $168 with cable and software DirectSoft. This machine is similar to 100 in several ways; but, uses a different underlying machine philosophy. The bottom line is this. The code will be similar to the IEC1193-3 standards that are gaining momentum. Plus, the software and plc insight you gain is directly transferable to it's big brother the DL205, DL405
families. If you find old AB software, you will wind up giving too much for it and will not be advantaged very much.
Don't get started with AB, you seem like someone with a lot of potential.

You may also want to check with your local A-B distributor. Rockwell currently has the 10 point Micrologix 1000 for just $99. The cable runs around $30, and the software for programming the 10 point Micro is free. Be sure to download the free version of RSLogix for the 10 point Micro controller and also the free RSLinx Lite for communication. The link for the software is below:

I hope you find this information useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back