Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anybody ever wrote a guest article for a local newspaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDE327

Structural
Jul 19, 2010
US
I am thinking about attempting to get an article published in the local newspaper. I figure I could write something that would be useful to homeowners and have it put in the monthly home and garden section.

To me this seems like a great way to serve the community, get my name out there, and hopefully bring in some business.

Has anybody done this? If so what were the results? Any tips or bits of wisdom for me?

Thanks!

Mike Drinkwater, P.E.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Write the article, then shop it. Start with the highest circulation (local newspaper) then go down from there if rejected. I've published in statewide targeted technical newsbrief-type papers, national technical magazines, journals and other publications. Most of it is luck...does your article fit the publication's needs at the time...

Good luck and don't give up on the first rejection. It is a good way to get your name out there.

Get with a reporter from the local paper.
Get them to write the article/story, press release, see if you can get a picture or two as well.
You stand a better chance of it getting into print If one of their guys/gals does it, than if you just submit an article.
B.E.

if you have a website, write the article(s) and post them on your website. that way you maintain exclusive rights to them. then get a friendly reporter to write a story about you/your article or website.

i wrote a piece and did just that - it was picked up by an editor for publication and i got paid for it!

with newspapers, if you shop it to more than one then they will give you the line that it is not exclusive and they only accept original exclusive submittals.

good luck and like Ron said - don't give up.

Write an abstract and shop it, then write the article specifically for whoever is interested in picking it up. Different publications will have different needs for content, length, and audience demographic.

My experience with the trade media at least is that they are desperate for good content. They all have small budgets, and they will eagerly pick up on content. It obviously can't be too overtly advertising-y.

A friend of mine is friendly with a local radio home reno advice columnist. As a consequence he gets mentioned frequently when the advice given is "you need the help of a structural engineer", and the phone rings off the hook. The newspaper article could work the same way for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back